A couple of thoughts regarding Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BlueStreek, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 1) newest refresh of web based tws: what`s with all this grey crap for closed markets? It is messy, and looks like shit when you have large screens across several monitors----get rid of this.
    2)Charts---I want my hi,lo,bid,ask, and last markets back for price on my charts, i.e., this is the low of the day, this is the last price...the quick visual reference helps in lining up prices in an instant for a trade.
    3) Your charts still aren`t accurate,i.e., the dom high says the real high and low or swing high and low, but the charts are off by sometimes 2 to 4 points depending upon the veracity of moves-----pretty basic stuff, and since they are obviously making changes to every edition-why not fix this obvious, basic and important flaw?
    4) in after hours trading the charts need to constantly be updated manually-this has been the case forever---they keep saying that they will fix this,but the problem is still there.
    5)suggesting these changes on their site is a waste of time as they never actually makes changes to propossed suggestions.
    6) how many times are you down for various markets, the hour down on cl for sunday night was brutal.

2. JamesL

JamesL

And making them here will?

3. RedDuke

RedDuke

My only issue with IB is that they do not store tick data.

I trade kospi futures exclusively and I am set up on hkfarm.

I trade via Ninja and do not have any issues.

Maybe 2-4 time a year, there is no market data.

The platform performs great even in very fast markets.

4. BSAM

BSAM

Since TDA is no longer interested in QuoteTracker, I suggest that IB do what they should have done in the first place. Maybe TDA would like to get, at least, a little bit of their money back.

(Speeeee...Make an offer, IB.)

5. Bob111

Bob111

i've been saying same shit in my every other post about IB for almost a decade. stop this cosmetic changes menace now. i'm sick and tired from either new, more distracting shit or moving old one to some random\hard to find places. my last favorite-highlight few rows to delete \copy\modify-right next to delete\cancel order(which is imo important and i do use it often to cancel multiple orders at once) in 906.9-there is "events calendar" right next to it. WTF? how this relevant to tab with totally different functions?
    meanwhile,when i submit basket of orders with good after time parameter-it did take less than 1 sec from my PC to IB's to accept the orders, but 45 sec from IB to exchange. 45 fucking seconds from first to last order to became acknowledged and accepted by exchange. where are we? in a fucking stone age? this shit you should work on. faster,smarter,better routing,better executions. the other day i did choose highest rebate routing,placed some orders,some of them did not execute(stocks) and i left them AH. all "smart". they all routed for whatever reason to direct edge(open till 5pm). after 5 Pm my orders are still showed active and routed to direct edge(which is closed already). why not to reroute them to island or arca,which are open till 8pm? this kind of shit you should work on,IB. i can go on on this crappy TWS issues all fucking day long...the problem is -they wouldn't listen. they keep adding more and more fundamental,research kind of shit to already heavy and slow platform..which was initially designed for active traders. ACTIVE traders damit..not some buy and hold old folks..you are a discount broker for sake..not some full service firm and position yourself accordingly. all we want from you is a GOOD EXECUTION PLATFORM. no fucking charts,no fundamentals,no other useless crap. people who need it should go to some other place. get this trough your head-you can't satisfy everyone.

6. BSAM

BSAM

Caffeine not working well for you, Bob.:p

7. Bob111

Bob111

nah..caffeine have nothing to do with it..daytrading is not good for your health overall and IB doesn't make our lives any easier..
    i have to admit-i'm nerve wreck.i'm start shaking and spitting kinda like Lewis Black during his monologues,when someone start talking about TWS issues :p

8. DAV
    Interactive Brokers

A couple of thoughts regarding Interactive Brokers
    Hello BlueStreek,
    Regaring your post, can I ask you to clarify some of the points you made?
    Re: (hi,lo,bid,ask, and last are now controlled per chart) - Do you mean that you want these values shown in the quote zone or on the axis?

Can you provide more details about 3) and 4)?

Thanks
    DAV

Thanks for your inquiry DAV, I know there are several dedicated IB personel who monitor the threads for IB concerns.

Regarding:

3) Your charts still aren`t accurate,i.e., the dom high says the real high and low or swing high and low, but the charts are off by sometimes 2 to 4 points depending upon the veracity of moves-----pretty basic stuff, and since they are obviously making changes to every edition-why not fix this obvious, basic and important flaw?

For example, Crude Oil spikes to 91.36 as the high of the overnight session, IB BookTrader shows the high accurately, but IB`s charts show the general spike but the charts often don`t show the 91.36 print - the chart may show 91.32 as the high print, sometimes this can be off by a few ticks, and sometimes it can be off by 4-7 ticks depending upon the strength of the spike.

The high/low color indicator (previous TWS edition) on the right axis will even be wrong- it shows the same lagging price for prints that is visually displayed on the chart in these cases.

Sometimes you will get filled for an order which is a tick or two below/above what the charts shows as the low/high of the given move.

Basically, the charts are not very accurate at reflecting the precise "detail" of price action---they give a rough estimate, and with modern price oriented trading, precise data representation on the charts with regard to price bars (even on spikes) needs to be exact for optimal support/resistance identification - this should be overhauled.

4) in after hours trading the charts need to constantly be updated manually-this has been the case forever---they keep saying that they will fix this,but the problem is still there.

I especially have this problem during slower AH trading, and the only solution is to constantly hit the refresh button manually--the charts should update automatically. (Really noticable at the start of AH trading for futures & forex charts when they come back online from the brief break each day -For example 5:00 CST I need to constantly hit the refresh button to display the correct price bar data.

In summation, IB needs to really make a commitment to improve their charts to "Best in Class", or acquire a third party High-End Charting package which is state of the art to provide for their clients - avoiding the current clumsy integration issues involved in meshing disparate editions, systems, and "generic" applications not built specifically to interact seamlessly with IB infrastructure.

These changes would be in IB`s interest as well, as it will help attract more capital, creating more trading commission revenue, and better distinguish itself from the competition in an ever increasing 'commoditized business' landscape.

9. I second this. Stop fiddling with the look of TWS. The last thing I want to have to do is waste time rearranging stuff that I got worked out a long time ago. It's not like all the changes are improvements either.

10. The reason the data comes across ok in fast markets is because they bundle ticks, so the process that makes them faster in those markets also precludes them from providing tick data, live or historical.

I have not noticed much of a problem with IQFeed or Rithmic.

#10     Jan 22, 2011