ActiveX scripting warning?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by alanm, Apr 11, 2006.

1. alanm

alanm

What's with the ActiveX scripting warning I have to say "no" to on every page now? It doesn't seem to be necessary to proper use of the board, and I'd rather not put ET in the "trusted" list (to eliminate the warning). Any way we can get a preferences flag to eliminate whatever the control is?

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It sounds like your browser settings are overly restrictive, as we have not received any other complaints. The only thing that's changed is that we implemented a new method of collecting site stats, but it shouldn't be setting off any warnings unless you've made the security settings on your browser higher than normal.

3. riddle

riddle

Maybe you installed the new update from microsoft. This is in response to their losing the patent lawsuit with Eolas

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

"After you install this update, you cannot interact with ActiveX controls from certain Web pages until these controls are enabled. To enable an ActiveX control, manually click the control. There are also techniques that Web developers can use to update their Web pages. "

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I forgot about that new browser update. That's most likely what the problem is. I will see if there's a suitable workaround on this end.

5. alanm

alanm

My browser settings are intentionally more restrictive than "normal" for security reasons.

What's changed is that you now seem to be using an ActiveX control for something, where before you did not. Saying no to the question doesn't change my experience with the site, so whatever it is does not seem to be necessary to me. Thus, the question about being able to disable whatever it is.

6. Alanm,

you are concerned about security, but you are using IE instead of Firefox. Have you tried Firefox? Care to explain why you choose IE over Firefox?

7. alanm

alanm

No. :)

8. Bsulli

Bsulli

If someone is really concerned with browsing and being infected or hijacked then the better way to go if your going to stick with IE is to setup a user account only and logout from the account you normally use for trading and back in as the restricted user you created. Or fast switch to it if using XP.

fwiw , Good luck and good trading.

Bsulli