Advise me on computer memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by birdman, Aug 19, 2020.

1. birdman

birdman

My Dell Inspirion 3847 desktop started showing a message ... Saying my computer is low on memory and asking me to close TOS. Sometimes TOS crashes.

So i upgraded RAM from 8GB to 16GB but i still get the error message and TOS has crashed once since upgrade. I only run TOS and one additional tab. Please advise.

2. When the message is being displayed, check your Task Manager to see how much memory is actually being used.

Problems like this are usually due to a software malfunction. Did you recently install new software/utility/app or do an update/upgrade of any software?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Check Virtual Memory settings ?? check it's on a Hard Drive and that hard drive has spare space, like 20gb's ??

Not that you should need, only see that on 32bit OS's, what windows are you running ?? ( a 32bit version then won't use more than 4gb's )

4. Don't use shit operating systems like windows

5. One of the reasons why I use Linux.

What's TOS?

stochastix likes this.
  6. birdman

birdman

TOS = Think Or Swim
    using Windows 7, no new installs in ages,
    Intel i5 4460 CPU 3.20 Ghz
    Hard disk = 826 GB free of 919 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 12.3 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 63.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.76 GB

7. Something incongruous about this. Look to software malfunction for the cause.

8. I suspect it's the TOS memory management issue. It would be better if you report the issue to TOS.

9. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

What does Task Manager say about how much TOS uses? And you adjusted your TOS memory setting right?

10. DevBru

DevBru

What is your experience with Linux and a multiple monitor setup?

I did some tests with Ubuntu in the past but didn't manage to get it working.

#10     Aug 19, 2020