Anybody is following the Prada America's Cup from NZ?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Pekelo, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Man, this is way better than motorsports. These new boats hydroplaning 1-2 meters above the water, literally flying with the speed of 40-45 knots or 50ish mph.

Here is a good summary what has happened, the American boat capsizing at 1:30 if you want to see the "Icarus flying too high" crash:

THE PRADA CUP
    Organised by the Challenger of Record, the PRADA Cup Challenger Selection Series will be held in January and February 2021 in Auckland, New Zealand, to determine which of the Challenger teams will take on the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand in the “36th America's Cup presented by PRADA” Match: to win the America’s Cup first you have to win the PRADA Cup.

The PRADA Cup will consist of four Round Robins of three races each, a seven races Semi-Final and a 13 races Final between the two leading teams. Each win gets one point.

The highest ranked Challenger at the end of the Round Robins will be automatically qualified for the PRADA Cup Final; the remaining teams will then race in a 7 races Semi-Final and the first team who gets four points will qualify for the PRADA Cup Final.

The PRADA Cup Final will then determine the Challenger for the “36th America’s Cup presented by PRADA” Match: the winner - the first team to get seven points – will challenge the Defender, Emirates Team New Zealand, and will receive the PRADA Cup – a striking new trophy designed by renowned designer Marc Newson (CBE) and painstakingly handcrafted by Florentine silversmiths.

https://www.americascup.com/en/prada-cup

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    piezoe and ZBZB like this.
  2. I have been watching the summary videos at the end of each race day. Although the speeds are high and the boats look spectacular, there is not really any match-racing going on. In most cases the winner is the team which makes the least number of unforced errors.
    The Americans are eliminated, next battle will be between the Italians and the Brits. The winner of those will be battling against the Kiwis.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Go check out Italy vs. UK. The lead was going back and forth and 300 meters out they were head to head.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

Look up the last America’s cup in San Francisco harbour. They would come straight at the dock then do a 90 degree turn.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, the Italians are beating the Brits silly. This is funny:

cesfx, HobbyTrading and themickey like this.
  7. Jimmy Spithill has no idea what is in store for him. :)

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Jimmy Spithill is a very fine Italian name for an Italian boat captain. :)

I think national boat crews should consist the same nationality what the boat belongs to. Except maybe the Jamaican bobsled team. I would give them a pass.

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

10. I had not yet heard of the delay due to Covid.
    I was watching the races on the YouTube livestream. Each race lasted only about 30 minutes whereas the entire livestream is about 2 hours. So you have to find the right portions of the livestream to see he actual races, and not all the filler material.

#10     Feb 14, 2021