Anyone else can't resist buying stocks on sale?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Saltynuts, May 5, 2021.

1. I dunno what it is, but when I see stocks off a lot I just cannot resist buying a little bit. Like COUR today. Apparently their results pleased analysists, but disappointed investors, and its off like 9 freaking percent right now. Had to buy me some. Just a wee little bit, I always like to scale in nice and slow to DCA as much as I can. But still, I feel like I'm a sucker for always doing this. I bet if I go back and tabulated my overall results doing this they would be mediocre at best.

Anyone else here can't resist doing this? Its like worse than a drinking or gambling addiction....

2. Nobert

Nobert

Had to overcome the desire of shorting stuff based purely on TA ;
    (70% of loosing trades were of such type)

was sitting on couch & had a silent conversation with myself,.

,, Either you stop doing stupid s***, - or you loose the game. It's that simple. There's no in - between ''

Now i don't feel such ,, need/desire '' . When i look at such opportunities these days, it's like :
    ,, woah, that's a great way to loose monies and nothing else ''

Maybe there's a specific pattern among most of your losers ?
    Maybe you're taking longs after earnings in companies that recently went IPO ?

Just cut it & let the basic math do the work.
    Less losers = more winners.

One can still keep experimenting tho (in order to grow).
    Once you establish solid & profitable foundation of your approach, keep exploring new uncharted waters with sims/demos.
    Besides it's -
    index.png

3. That is what most people are doing. They try to buy lows and sell highs because they have a false belief that they can time tops and bottoms. It is psychologically difficult to buy into price strength and sell into weakness. I bet that you would end up with a big fat red number if you were honest to yourself and revisited all those trades on which you based this approach as the decision to buy or sell.

Snuskpelle and Nobert like this.
  4. You might want to wait a little longer, but buy the dip opportunity is incoming

upload_2021-5-5_15-50-58.png

floridaeaton likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

A month after IPO there is selling ...... for the 2nd time!!

6. Still feel this way? Today was a pretty big up day. :)

7. Oh I agree, I bet my results have been not good.

8. You are right, it is kind of like an addiction and I believe it has a lot to do with the fact that it is quite irresistible. There is also a fact that these stocks are very easy to get your hands on and probably is fascinating for most people.

9. Buy the f*cking dip indicator says buy buy buy!
    Granted it is not too sophisticated, but it does help with pulling the trigger when it feels like the world is ending... also helps to be in a roaring bull market!

Looking at the chart, it's probably not all too different from simply monthly re-occurring buys in a 401k.

upload_2021-5-26_9-26-47.png

Last edited: May 26, 2021