API access to my programmer

Discussion in 'App Development' started by arman555, Jul 25, 2021.

1. arman555

arman555

Hello Fellas,

Quick question, I have a programmer working on a algo for me and he needs the API access. Do I have to give him access to my portal right down to the key card or is there any way i can allow some sort of restricted access to the API (only historical data and live data is needed). Other account information is fine.

Edit: I am talking about the TWS API, interactive brokers

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. DaveV

DaveV

arman555 likes this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Give him your paper trading account credentials for dev and test.

I wouldn't give out my real auth info. These keys and other auth info should be read from a separate config file. When code is delivered, use keys in your file; e.g.:

Code:
    keys.json
    {
        "api_key": 123456,
        "app_key": 234567
        "port": 7497
    }

These are stored in the clear; you may also need to encrypting these keys

goslow, trend2009 and fan27 like this.
  4. 2rosy

2rosy

he can create his own paper account and use that. Looks like you didn't vet this guy; I assume he is cheap

5. kmiklas

kmiklas

Is it reasonable to expect him to open an IB account? Not sure it's necessary to code an algo.

6. terr

terr

I programmed to dozens of APIs. I always either have my own account or the API vendor provides one for me.

kmiklas likes this.
  7. 2rosy

2rosy

you dont need to open a real $ account. Anyone can create a paper account in a few minutes

8. kmiklas

kmiklas

With IB you need a regular account before you can open a paper account:
    I've faced this problem myself: someone wants code using a specific broker (IB, Tradestation, etc). As a programmer, am I expected to have many different accounts with different brokers? For this reason I've had to turn down some contracts.

9. terr

terr

You don't have to put much $ into the account.

10. kmiklas

kmiklas

So you assert that a Developer must have an account with the broker that publishes the API they're using for a project?

#10     Jul 26, 2021