Asian faiths try to save swastika symbol corrupted by Hitler

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by FortuneTeller, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Interesting. I too have noticed the resemblance to a Nazi swastika.

Asian faiths try to save swastika symbol corrupted by Hitler (msn.com)

[​IMG]

Sheetal Deo was shocked when she got a letter from her Queens apartment building’s co-op board calling her Diwali decoration “offensive” and demanding she take it down.

“My decoration said ‘Happy Diwali’ and had a swastika on it,” said Deo, a physician, who was celebrating the Hindu festival of lights.

The equilateral cross with its legs bent at right angles is a millennia-old sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism that represents peace and good fortune, and was also used widely by Indigenous people worldwide in a similar vein.

But in the West, this symbol is often equated to Adolf Hitler’s hakenkreuz or the hooked cross – a symbol of hate that evokes the trauma of the Holocaust and the horrors of Nazi Germany. White supremacists, neo-Nazi groups and vandals have continued to use Hitler’s symbol to stoke fear and hate.

Over the past decade, as the Asian diaspora has grown in North America, the call to reclaim the swastika as a sacred symbol has become louder. These minority faith communities are being joined by Native American elders whose ancestors have long used the symbol as part of healing rituals.

2. Nobert

Nobert

A whole nation felt under the influence of a crack-head & ironically, few hundred years from now it's gonna be such a distant memory.

3. Hitler was a crack head? Interesting if that is true. I think.

4. Nobert

Nobert

5. maxinger

maxinger

Those old Buddhist-related buildings still retain swastika symbols.
    But I don't see it in the new building.

Nazis invented / created many new things like rockets, big guns....
    Why couldn't Nazis create their own symbol?

6. Wow. I don't think I knew that Hitler was a junkie during the war. Might be one reason why he did what he did. :(

Nobert likes this.
  7. Exactly. Why couldn't they create their own symbol.

8. Nobert

Nobert

It's, surreal.

9. Hitler the Tweaker. Too bad he didn't shoot himself if he did have a gun in his hand.

Nobert likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

He did, eventually. Took a few years though.

#10     Nov 28, 2022
    FortuneTeller likes this.