Barchart: Quality of Data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Statistical Trader, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for opinions on the QUALITY OF DATA provided by Barchart.

I'm about to do a quick one-off analysis on some EOD EUREX futures. Barchart has what I want, but I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the quality of their data.

I don't care about price, integration with other software, depth of offering on other contracts, etc. I just want to grab this data and go, but will look somewhere else if ET members raise concerns about data quality.

Happy Trading!

Statistical Trader

2. Weak quality very weak because you want to trade at the extremes of the bar which is nowhere near the start and finish

3. Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the data is incorrect or are you saying that it is better to trade near the daily low and high? Or are you saying something else entirely?

I want to trade this particular strategy on (near) the daily close and usually hold for several months at a time.

To clarify for everyone else who might be able to help me, I'm looking for advice on the ACCURACY of the data, not on how to use it. I've got that part covered. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  4. OK sorry if you are holding for several months thats fine as long as you have enough years to test it.

Statistical Trader likes this.
  5. H2O

H2O

Nothing negative on Barchart (never really used them), but if you're looking for high-quality EOD data you should consider CSI: http://www.csidata.com/ (No affiliation)

6. I've used barchart data to backfill my futures database, given that IB only offer a year of historical data through the API. When I've compared the two sources where they overlap I have seen no major issues.

Perhaps 0.00001% of prices show obvious errors, usually a price divided by 100 or something so it's worth plotting daily returns to look for spikes.

Lowest frequency I get is hourly, so can't speak to quality of eg 5 minute bars.

GAT