Bear Pictures

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanzandt, Sep 23, 2022.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

2. maxinger

maxinger

Bear pictures ...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. nitrene

nitrene

I remember the 2000-2002 market very well. It was the first bear market I really saw since I started investing in 1993. I held on to SUNW & CSCO too long. I think at the end I lost like 70-80% on those companies. I remember in 1999 Jack Bogle used come on CNBC and tell everyone to increase exposure to Bonds and the CNBC pumpers would laugh at him.

For the 2008 collapse I did pretty good actually, mainly because I was long all the mREITs that started to implode starting in Q1 2007. I knew there was a problem brewing in real estate. I didn't understand to what extent the shadow banks had taken over the markets but I knew to get out of my long positions. I also went long SKF (-2X Financials ETF by ProShares) & short all the large global bank stocks in my IB account. Until the Lehman blow up and then it was illegal to short the TBTF entites.

shuraver, Sekiyo, Nobert and 4 others like this.
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

You had to mention Sun Microsystems didn't ya?
    :banghead: :banghead:
    PSI Net anyone?

Laissez Faire likes this.
  5. nitrene

nitrene

Yeah Sun Micro got rekt by that bear market. It never did recover but its hardware continues at Oracle and the software I think is owned by Mozilla (their Netscape division).

PSI Net and those "free" ISPs all collapsed in the end. I guess DoorDash & Uber are like the free ISPs of the late 1990s with heavily subsidized costs via the VCs. They are also worthless with no way to make any money long term. I mean if Taxis were really profitably there would have been Taxi companies that went public.

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

That's an interesting point.
    I never thought of that.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

no way DoorDash and Uber’s core businesses aren’t profitable. They take 20percent of a check just for having an algorithm link a driver to a customer.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I take the other side of that bet. I think they are both bad business models...

9. Handle123

Handle123

All the years of shorting highs/hedged, Red is my favorite color.

Wide Tailz likes this.
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Their old symbol SUNW is now SunWorks (a solar company of sorts) lol.

#10     Sep 23, 2022