Broadband Connection Speed for DayTrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BBY2050, Oct 17, 2015.

1. BBY2050

BBY2050

What is the minimum/recommended Broadband connection speed do you think you need for your Daytrading.

2. wartrace

wartrace

I don't think MBPS is as much an issue as latency is. I think you would be fine with a 5 to 10mbps connection speed providing your latency is under 50 ms.

JTrades likes this.
  3. d08

d08

Even 1mbps is perfectly fine for pretty much everything as long as you don't have background processes using your bandwidth.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  4. Thinking of that, I've tested the wireless speed on my laptop and then done the same test in safe mode...talk about a big difference. My connection was nearly twice the speed in safe mode, faster than my ISP advertises. I got rid of a ton of the background processes and that helped significantly.

zdreg and d08 like this.
  5. steve2222

steve2222

Could you run your trading platform in Safe Mode?

6. pk3r1234

pk3r1234

I am on dsl right now, i don't think it's very good. Pretty sure i'm getting cable/fios next week. I'm expecting maybe 20-60 ms. There is also something called leatrix latency fix that you can download. It has a huge increase on my MS while gaming, I'm sure it's the same with market platforms.

7. I'm not sure. I don't think I would really care to though, I would much rather just fix the issues and have full normal access instead. I'm not doing anything that sensitive on latency.

I pay for 60mbps through Charter and here was a speedtest just now in regular mode across wifi:

upload_2015-10-17_13-41-50.png

I just checked it on my iphone and got almost identical numbers, so I think I successfully killed all the background processes last time I messed with it. I found a guide online to shut down a ton.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    RabidTrader likes this.
  8. steve2222

steve2222

Thx.

Care to post a link to the online guide for shutting down unnecessary processes?

Thanks

9. Sure:

Go to the Start Menu, open "Run" you can just search for it and it should pop right up.

Type "MSCONFIG" and hit OK.

When the window pops up, click on the startup tab. I actually deselected everything. That was a big help. The only things currently selected are some programs that updated and apparently reset my changes (Spotify, Dropbox) as well as Citrix which I used to use to remote into work before they gave me a laptop. So I could probably remove it.

You will need to restart your computer after making the changes.

birdman, apdxyk and steve2222 like this.

10. How much are you willing to pay for clean internet? If you know how to trade, you could use dial-up or Satellite, I had a very good year after moving from ISDN to Satellite 17kbsx 770kbs, the amount of day-trades I made on Satellite was insane. Next step was buying a Full T1 (1998-2010 price fell over time, from $575 to $155 per month), the transition costed me over $30,000 because I started to over trade. Making 500 trades a day on Satellite was nothing, once I moved to a T1 connection (it actually was a fractional t3 because my bandwidth did not get capped at 1.54 x 1.54 per symmetrical) giving me 4.00 x 4.00 mgs of perfect unadulterated, guaranteed bandwidth. Transistioning from ISDN to Satellite was no issue, I made more money because the speed was slower on the upload than Hughes Satellite.

Why did I begin to lose money moving to a very fast internet? My trading went from 500 (average) to 1500 to 3000 day trades running multiple accounts having my kids trading, they did as I told them to do. Think about how many trades you plan on doing because a faster internet, faster Day Trading Platform and you better have the best Computers because you will be greatly disadvantaged if your trying to trade against the Bots!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    #10     Oct 17, 2015