Can anyone recommend a good options book

Discussion in 'Options' started by clacy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. clacy

clacy

I'm not very familiar with options, but would like to learn more about them.

I would like to use them as a substitute for some of my directional trades (stocks & futs).

Very basic strategies, buying calls and puts.

Hold time would be normally 10-60 days...... Very basic stuff

Just want to understand the quotes better, volumes, heavily traded options, how far out the options should be, in the money vs out, etc

I have a cursory understanding so not necessarily options 101, but the next step.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit to say that it doesn't have to be a book, but that's my preference. Even good basic option threads, etc would be welcomed.

2. clacy

clacy

Thanks, I did look at those a couple years back quickly, but I should probably revisit.

3. Carl K

Carl K

4. spindr0

spindr0

"Options as a Strategic Adjustment" by McMillan is my suggestion.

5. Options market making by baird is really good. It's basic+ as it has several strategies and risk parameters that might be overwhelming to someone new

6. I found the book "Options Made Easy" by Guy Cohen to be a pretty decent read.

7. jsmooth

jsmooth

1) Option Volatility & Pricing - Natenberg
    2) Options, Futures, & Other Derivatives - Hull
    3) Option Market Making - Baird

8. erol

erol

I have to agree with "options made easy" for basic strategies and basic spreads.

Also if options is completely new then it's a great read.

Then if you want more info, I then recommend "options as a strategic investment" by mcmillan ( which I'm currently reading). This was also mentioned in a prev post.

If you're serious.... Then you must read " option Volatility and pricing" by natenberg.

The two later books were recommended by this forum and I recommend them as well!

9. #10     Oct 23, 2009