Commission on options on the TSX (Canada) at IB, TS, TDA

Discussion in 'Options' started by dcwriter2, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Anyone know the commissions, to say short a put? Also, can one do a Canadian short put, cash covered, in an an IRA? Thanks in advance.

2. Your profile says "West Coast." Is that west coast USA?

TMX options are off limits to US domiciled retail accounts. Futures are OK though. TMX has not jumped through all the SEC required hoops, hurdles, and filings for US approval on the options side.

3. What is TMX? The same as TSX? I'll assume it is and wow I can't believe I'm barred from doing something like that by my government. Enough to make me a libertarian.

4. Yes, TMX is the former Montreal Exchange, which was acquired by TSX. It is a derivatives exchange still based in Quebec but part of the Toronto Exchange Group now. Ditto "Canadian Venture Exchange" which used to be Vancouver Stock Exchange.

TMX home page: https://www.tmx.com/
    You can download free EOD options history from that site. To see what you're missing!

5. Metamega

Metamega

6. Thanks. Yeah, generally surprised I can't trade Canadian equity options on this side of the border. Maybe I can get a Canadian friend to open a joint account for us here.

7. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Why would you want to trade on that God forsaken exchange? The liquidity is terrible and from my limited experience you have to cross the bid/ask as there is no hidden liquidity.

8. haven't checked out the generalities, but recently found a decent risk/return play That would make the hassles of currency, fees and commission possibly worthwhile.

9. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Sounds pretty cool! I'll send you a PM maybe we can work something out as I am Canadian.

10. Guys, going to keep this one to myself as if the word gets out ... (and no it is not 'inside information.')

#10     Dec 5, 2019