CPI tomorrow morning! I'm predicting double digit inflation numbers!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Apr 11, 2022.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Yes tomorrow is CPI and the prediction is for a solid 8.4% which would the highest in over 40 years. Of course only a handful of people saw this coming, meanwhile anyone could have predicted this a few short years ago thanks to the fed and their printing craziness and historical low rates. Thank you fed for creating rapid inflation and asset bubbles!!

Anyway my prediction is for double digits on the inflation report tomorrow. If this happens expect a sweet continued sell off. However if by some luck the inflation report shows under 7% then expect a snap back 2%+++ rally across all indexes.

• Economists expect inflation rose 1.1% in March from the prior month, but the year-over-year gain is expected to be 8.4%, the highest since December 1981.
    • The consumer price index will be reported Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. ET.

KCalhoun likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Thx, good points ... as usual I'll buy UVXY SQQQ if drop, or SOXL if pop. Currently holding 750 shares UVXY overnight

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Haven't backtested it but high inflation sounds to me as a selloff in bonds, rally in equities. Opionions?

4. disclaimer: i will be long NQ

5. JamesJ

JamesJ

High inflation together with higher interest rate --> selloff bonds, selloff equities (future profits are worth less now).
    High growth and/or with large debts stocks suffer the most in theory

6. maxinger

maxinger

disclaimer :
    I will react to the market.
    I will focus on the index futures, bonds, gold

The inflation number is totally irrelevant.
    It doesn't matter whether it is double or triple digits.
    Just focus on the chart and react to it.

smallfil and KCalhoun like this.
  7. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

lol.. disclaimer:

me too.. if the market goes up I go long, if it goes down i short/trade inverses

reminder 3-wave whipsaw from 8:30-8:45 or so.. kneejerk reaction, countertrend, Then major move

maxinger likes this.
  8. smallfil

smallfil

This stockmarket has continued to show strength despite, all the headwinds aligned against it. The oil prices probably, manipulated because I have not seen oil production boosted anywhere. Sure, Joe Biden released 1,000,000 barrels of oil a day from the strategic petroleum reserve versus US oil consumption of 20,500,000 barrels of oil a day? Commodity prices going thru the roof. I doubt Americans will stop driving their cars, going on trips, etc. At the same time, oil is highly inflationary. Much is made of the Chinese lockdown when there are like 2 billion Chinese in all? How many millions live in Shanghai and are locked down? Are the Chinese going to stop using oil? I still rely on the stockcharts exclusively, to make my trading decisions. A lot of stocks are in wedges or ascending triangle patterns. We probably, will find out soon enough where those stocks are headed.

9. Too many folks talking about this number, expect the unexpected.

10. Yeah... poo on you. "Only" 8.5%, no worries. BUY 'EM!!

#10     Apr 12, 2022