Do you tend to wait for counter trend movements to enter a position?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by zghorner, Jul 31, 2022.

1. zghorner

zghorner

example being...stock/commodity/etc...is trending down, it meets your criteria to short/you believe it will continue south. do you like to wait for a counter trend movement IE retracement that goes up for a set amount before entering your position or do you enter right away as soon as you form your opinion? I can see some replies coming similar to: "when my triggers are hit I enter" and I get that but my question would then be: is counter trend movement part of your system trigger?

thanks et.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

counter trend trading is a very difficult skill to master.

zghorner likes this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Counter trend, enter on a Gann 3 bar Pull-Back. 3 HH's or 2 HH's + inside bar, short on a break below previous bar's low. So long as other variables confirm.

Of course same in reverse for long.

easymon1 and zghorner like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I am wondering that same thing right now, after looking at the 6-month downtrend of the major indices. I am weighing the potential of this past month's bull-run in the majors being a counter-trend of the bear, or the start of a new bull. Frak, I simply do not know. All year I have thought that the counter-trend was the bear in a bull. But 6 months in? Now I think the bulls are a counter to the bear. I am so on the fence about this. I think Fed meeting minutes next month, plus NFP next week and Sep decision will cement the longer-term move in my view. My gut is telling me that the bear is going to end before Q4 holiday season

zghorner likes this.
  5. easymon1

easymon1

Is it trending down?
    If you short, why would anybody say that is countertrend?

6. zghorner

zghorner

agree, that's not my definition of counter trend trading...perhaps @zdreg just misunderstood my question.

7. All you people are trying to chase a rabbit or dog from behind....convinced you can capture it. That's your trading. Keep on following it, and if it darts left or right....you also dart to the left or right. You'll soon enough capture it,
    Who here finds this situation, observation, very amusing to watch,

Trading is similar to hunting or fishing, in some ways. What separates the legit pros from the clown amateurs,
    Think about this,

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. Secatu

Secatu

I use volume profiles and other support/resistance levels to help determine possible counter-trends. If you look at the SPY right now, there's a lot of resistance at 412-416. If it breaks through, then I think we may have seen our lows for a while. But it's definitely hard to predict.

upload_2022-7-31_20-37-12.png

zghorner likes this.
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

At what age did you a suffer a T.B.I.?

taowave and Spooz Top 2 like this.
  10. Secatu

Secatu

I personally think trading, especially in a choppy market, is way harder than hunting or fishing. But admittedly, I'm way better at outdoor activities than I am at trading (and I'm definitely not professional, but I do earn extra play money).

#10     Jul 31, 2022
    zghorner likes this.