Donating Blood - Your Experience ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nobert, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Nobert

Nobert

Mixed opinions.

For those who did that for prolonged time / over the years, how did it impacted you ?
    Did the health got worse ?
    (have no clue how is it possible to measure that, but still)

I have done it for 5 or 7 times, for free , based on a good will, but then the conspiracy theories and lifestyle - kept me away for the past 5 years.

None the less, would be glad to do it once more, thus, asking.

2. speedo

speedo

Nothing to it and it's good for you.

d08 and Nobert like this.
  3. tango29

tango29

I haven't in awhile, but I used to on the 8 week schedule. I have a somewhat rare anomaly with my type that matched to a specific local patient so that was kind of cool. I never had an issue before, during, or after donating.
    Also at the time my wife was in a program at our local Blood Center as part of her Masters program so it was a good way to go out to lunch after with the wife.

Nobert likes this.
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I did it in college but never during the rowing season because it impacted my performance.
    In fact, I would recommend anybody that plans to donate blood to first have blood chemistry work done by their doctor to ensure they're healthy to do such as in to make sure their Iron levels are normal.

wrbtrader

Nobert likes this.
  5. tango29

tango29

At least at our Blood Center they do an Iron check as part of the workup before donating. I am on the low side, actually anemic, but I am ok to donate, and again have never ahd an issue. My wife used to be turned down about every other time because of her Iron levels.

wrbtrader and Nobert like this.
  6. tango29

tango29

I will add, not disagreeing with wrb, a check with a doctor is not a bad idea to start with either, and can be part of an annual physical.

wrbtrader and Nobert like this.
  7. mac

mac

Last time I gave blood the nurse hit a nerve with the needle….it hurt!! Arm was black and blue for months! I’m done.

Nobert likes this.
  8. Nobert

Nobert

Yt,
    tren hard

an neva givap.

P.s

Who knows, might get lucky with the nurse as well

d08 likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

If your arm was black and blue for MONTHS, then you need iron supplements, and need to eat more red meat.

10. deaddog

deaddog

The clinic where I donate blood insist it be your own.

#10     Dec 29, 2021
    Bugenhagen likes this.