Dune remake trailer? 100% NO!

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by Overnight, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

I totally disagree with this trailer.

You do NOT go total anachronistic to the highest degree with a cherished Pink Floyd song from 1973 buried in the trailer for a movie that is a remake of a movie based on a book that most people these days have never heard of, much less read.

I cannot believe Gilmour et. al. signed off on this stupid.

Pink Floyd's music has no fucking place in Herbert's Dune universe.

It makes zero sense. The last time this sort of thing worked was in "A Knight's Tale", but that was a masterpiece of that particular form. Anachrony is subtle, but exact.

But you do not do that with Pink Floyd. Nuh uh.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Agree, they don't mix. Big fan of both pink floyd "money", and the original dune book. The first movie was um odd, the new movie I'll skip. Pink floyd music fits neither. How about Sting?

3. Overnight

Overnight

Heh, I suppose that could work on a funny level since he was in the original film...But nah...The Dune universe has no room for that sort of silly.

KCalhoun likes this.
  4. Maybe because I knew the Pink Floyd song was going to show up in the trailer... but I thought it kind of sounded kind of cool. Then again, it is a good song...

5. Overnight

Overnight

Hey, don't get me wrong...I think the movie looks like it will be a refreshing re-imagining of the original. It's been quite a long while since the first one, and will prolly be a great IMAX experience.

But the Floyd thing? No. Just no.

6. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Dune is dune, completely seminal, timeless and anyone even slightly interested in sci-fi has read it or seen the first movie.

I have a signed first edition of Stranger in a Strange Land, couple of other Heinleins, but a pity it and Foundation don't get movies.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  7. I loved Dune. Movie theaters are deader than Hollywood. Time for new technology to come out to let people watch stuff at home that rivals theatres. But has to be affordable. Probably 10 years away. Holographic just guessing.

8. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I have both 1080p and 4k projectors, to be honest for 90 percent the 1080p is perfect. I recently completed a 'bedroom cinema' at home with five beds for friends and family, been good during the lockdowns.

Jodorowsky's Dune is quite interesting, I finished all the prequel books in 2010 so looking forward to the new movie though it does get tiring with endless origin stories repeated.

9. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Wow, just saw Foundation is coming in 2021.

10. Seem like I heard something about Foundation coming. I only read one of the Dune prequel books and 30 years ago or so, forget which one.

I love science fiction.

#10     Oct 14, 2020