Elon Musk’s Starlink poised to shake up Australia’s broadband

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by themickey, Apr 1, 2021.

1. themickey

themickey

By Chris Zappone April 2, 2021

He’s disrupted the car and battery business, the space business, and has helped make cryptocurrency mainstream.

Now businessman Elon Musk stands on the cusp of upsetting Australia’s broadband business by providing internet from space through thousands of satellites passing in low Earth orbit.

Starlink, a division of SpaceX, is rolling out a constellation of thousands of satellites to provide space-based broadband on Earth. Nearly every time a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches, it carries more Starlink satellites with it.......

The article is too long to paste it all, here is link address...
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...up-australia-s-broadband-20210325-p57e07.html

aqtrader likes this.
    • I think Starlink is only good for remote areas that don't have internet.
    • At $100/month plus the dish Starlink can't compete with regular internet providers.

2. ET180

ET180

Even in beta it's competing. 100+ mbps at 40 ms ping or better. Wait until they get more satellites in orbit.

VicBee likes this.
  3. VicBee

VicBee

You've just described Australia...

DiceAreCast and Turveyd like this.
  4. You say the same thing in any thread relating to Starlink.

You couldn't be more wrong.

5. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Assuming you can buy (which we can't) SpaceX shares which includes Starlink at the present price of $419.99 - would you buy?

6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Perfect for Australia, quick enough for a few houses to share the cost aswell to bring the price down, imagine a lot of Australia away from the city's will be on 56k dial up 22years since had my first 512k fibre connection, currently 32000k

7. VicBee

VicBee

Starlink will be spined as a separated company, not part of Space X.

8. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Yep, that's very likely but at the moment Starlink is under the SpaceX unbrella. So would you buy into SpaceX now at $419.99 if you could? I'm not so sure as it already has a very large market cap.

9. After this, I am sure that people from different parts of the world would be interested in Starlink.

#10     Apr 29, 2021