F/X Position disappeared a few days ago in TWS and APP

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by vms01, May 24, 2023.

1. vms01

vms01

Hi,

my account is running in EUR and I have 50% of my cash amount exchanged to USD. This happened already two years ago with an avg. EUR.USD currency rate of 1.16 USD. Since then in IB TWS I had two sections where I was able to follow the positions price, P&L, etc.:

1. in my portfolio overview there was a position "EUR.USD" visible with my avg currency rate, the currency rate at this moment from the market and the (virt.)profit from my avg currency rate to the market.

2. in the extended account window from my portfolio there was a virt. f/x position visible with the same values I mentioned under 1.

Under 1. the position disappeared and under 2. the section "virt. f/x position" still exists, but is empty.

Neither did I close the position, nor has IB. I still have 50% of my cash in USD but from now on I have to calculate manually in Excel.

I found a similar Info from somebody at reddit:

"Forex disappeared from portfolio:
    The USD to native currency forex pair used to be displayed under my portfolio, along with standard information like avg. price, P&L etc. I noticed the forex pair no longer displays within my portfolio, and even when I search it up all the basic information are missing. Did something change in a recent update? Is there a way to re-enable ibkr to display these information"

Did anyone face the same problems or knows the background?

THX.

Regards,

vms01

2. vms01

vms01

Update: Found this info also on reddit:

"
    The FX Portfolio -- Virtual FX Position was suddenly no longer there. I asked tech support about it, and they replied that they removed it to reduce "confusion". I think that's bull.

I've been trading currencies for over a decade on the TWS and found the FX Portfolio very useful. Suddenly I am supposed to keep track of the pnl separately on my own?

Does anyone else agree / disagree with that decision?

I mean I could get really data sciencey / philosophical about this. It never makes sense to remove information *for all* because *some* might consider it "confusing". Those that find it "confusing" can disregard the information (same outcome as not having it), but those that are not "confused" by it still have it and would probably consider it valuable information. Even better would be that those that find it "confusing" actually *learn* it, try to *understand* it, because that would make them smarter human beings. But no, IB allows stupid people to cause valuable information to be removed for *all*, including the smart people.
    "

Does nobody here exchanged currency from EUR to USD to buy US Stocks in USD and does not face the same problem??