FDA Just Says "No" to Cocaine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biggerfish, May 12, 2007.

1. Most traders get their fix on booster coffees and expresso, anyway:

Redux Changes Its `Cocaine' Drink Name to `Censored'
    By Carol Wolf

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Redux Beverages LLC renamed its Cocaine energy drink ``Censored'' after the Food and Drug Administration and three states complained it was marketed as a legal alternative to the street drug.

The energy drink's new logo will include the original Cocaine brand name covered by a black label containing the word ``Censored,'' Jamey Kirby, Redux chief executive officer, said in an interview today. The company doesn't know if the U.S. agency will approve the new name.

``The FDA told us flat out that they were not being paid to be our compliance consultants, so they weren't going to tell us if what we changed was OK,'' Kirby said.

The U.S. agency said in an April 4 letter to the Las Vegas- based company that it must correct any label or statement that promotes the product as an alternative to the illegal drug. Redux agreed on May 8 to suspend distribution of its Cocaine drink.

The attorneys general of Connecticut and Illinois, who had complained about the Cocaine brand name, have ``signed off on the new name,'' Kirby said. He declined to say if the Texas attorney general agreed to the name.

A trained chimpanzee introduced the new brand name by mimicking the saying ``See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil'' at a press conference in Fallbrook, California, said Kirby, who is also the company's founder.

Fox Interactive Media Inc.'s MySpace Inc., online community portal, will allow advertisements with ``Censored'' after refusing to run those for the drink's original name, he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Carol Wolf in Cleveland at cwolf@bloomberg.net

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601010&sid=aG41QCaDz9IQ&refer=news

http://www.drinkcocaine.com/

[​IMG]

'Cocaine' drink claims to be real thing
    21st September 2006

Anti-drug campaigners today attacked the makers of a soft drink who have called their product cocaine.

The high-energy drink is being billed as a "legal alternative" to the class A drug, using a massive hit of caffeine instead of cocaine.

Its maker claims the title is "a bit of fun" but critics slammed the technique as a cynical ploy which could tempt young people into using drugs.
    The drink's inventor, Jamie Kirby, said: "It's an energy drink, and it's a fun name. As soon as people look at the can, they smile."

He claims Cocaine is "350 percent stronger than Red Bull" but that people do not experience the "sugar crash" or jitters that he says some of the other energy drinks can produce.

But David Raynes, of the UK National Drug Prevention Alliance, said: "It is people exploiting drugs. It is a pretty cynical tactic exploiting illegal drugs for their own benefit."

Las Vegas-based drinks company Redux Beverages is producing the drink which contains 280 milligrams of caffeine. According to the company's website, the only way to get more caffeine per ounce is with an espresso.

Mr Raynes added: "The fact is that subliminally, it is making the image of drug use cool and that's what kids what to be, cool.

"Kids will be drinking Cocaine and will inevitably link the two. The drink is relatively innocuous, but they will be linking it with cocaine use and the market, which is far from innocuous."

Dr Charles O'Brien, a professor and vice chairman of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, said: "It's just a bad idea and has all the same downsides of too much caffeine plus a very bad name."

The company has received inquiries about selling Cocaine in Britain and throughout Europe. At the moment it is being sold only in the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas - mainly to teenagers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=406304&in_page_id=1770

Cocaine Energy Drink Review
    September 26, 2006

Cost: $3.50 on Ebay!
    Cost Per Ounce: $0.43
    Active Ingredients: CAFFEINE !!!!!!
    Taste Rating: 6.5
    Kick Rating: 10 – Nice!
    Final Judgment Rating:8.5
    Energy Drink Ratings Explained

Cocaine Energy Drink Review:
    Well I brought you the news last month about the highly controversial Cocaine Energy Drink from Redux Beverages. You can still only buy the cocaine energy drink in major metropolitan areas like Los Angeles and New York. Redux Beverages still does not offer the drink on their website. So where can you buy this beverage you might ask? E-Bay! That’s right for as little as $3.50 per can, sometimes less, sometimes way more, you can buy the liquid cocaine energy drink! So I did just that and here is what I think of it.

Cocaine Energy Drink Review: Taste
    Too bad we have to start out with the taste review because I had high expectations for this drink. Unfortunately my expectations were not met as the beverage was less than stellar. The pink, and somewhat fruity drink has a very distinct taste that is hard to describe. Some comments by readers on my Previous Post on the Cocaine Beverage seem to think that it tastes like battery acid. Well I would not quite go that far, but there is a strong medicinal after taste (it actually starts the moment you start drinking) that really kills the fruity flavor. This might be the throat numbing sensation that Redux Beverages is talking about. This is not one of the better tasting drinks on the market. Gets a below average rating of 6.5.

Cocaine Energy Drink Review: Kick
    Again I had really high expectations for this drink considering that Redux beverages stated that it has 280 milligrams of caffeine crammed into only 8.4 ounces. A couple of readers also stated that they enjoyed the kick, one even went so far as to say that the drink made them hot, which is usually associated with excess caffeine. Well I definitely felt the kick from all the caffeine. This drink gave me an "energy high" for about 6 hours and I did not have a crash when I was done. However it did leave me wanting more. The only other beverage that comes close in caffeine content is Wired X-294 as it has 294 milligrams of caffeine. However, you have to drink 16 ounces to get all the caffeine whereas with the cocaine drink you get 280 milligrams of caffeine in half the size. The kick rating is definitely a 10!

Cocaine Energy Drink Review: Final Judgment
    The taste is not that good and right now it is hard to get your hands on. It gives you an incredible kick and definitely leaves you wanting more. Does this sound like anything else you have heard about? So maybe Redux Beverages named this drink what they did to gain media attention. Or maybe they just named the drink this because it has eerie similarities to its illegal counterpart? I will let you be the judge on that. My final judgment on this drink is an 8.5. Incredible kick, bad flava and poor distribution!

http://energy-drink-ratings.blogspot.com/2006/10/cocaine-energy-drink-review.html

2. i love it. great marketing ploy!!!!

surf:D :D :D

3. maxpi

maxpi

FDA would not help them rename it so they took some license with the name, pretty funny.

I wonder if the stuff would make me like Jefferson Krull? :)

I did a Red Bull once, dang, it worked as advertised, then I woke up in the middle of the night and had to raid the refrigerator, it was weird, I was hungry for everything. That never happens.

4. Reminds me when George Carlin cracked a joke about "outlawing" toy guns.

5. "Reflux" beverages more like it.