has anyone use a trading psychologist?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 1a2b3cppp, Oct 26, 2020.

1. how did it work for you?

2. JSOP

JSOP

You mean that woman in that hedge fund firm in that show "Billions"? No, we can't afford one. We can't even afford regular psychologists if we ever need one. LOL

Grantx likes this.
  3. Hooti

Hooti

I paid for one several years ago. He did a thorough explanation of the psychology of trading and the pitfalls most run into. He explained several approaches to dealing with the issues… mindfulness… behavior modification… etc. There were phone calls one on one.

But in the end, the bottom line is at some point you have to make the changes necessary or not. At that time I was not ready. The explanations the guy gave were beautiful, even elegant. My hard head had some further work to do however.

CDoubleUU, Onra and stochastix like this.
  4. No luck, been to trading shrinks and therapists the problem is they were not successful traders so how could they remove my trading demons?

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  5. Yes, learned to meditate before trading, staying focused longer, double check trade exits and counter fear after losing days

Grantx and Bill Marwick like this.
  6. You need a spiritual guru who helps you with a transformation of awakening. When it happens, you won't be "successful" but you won't mind.

comagnum likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Best thing that ever happen to my trading but it was a psycho therapist...not a psychologist.

I used one early in my trading career was by choice and another one later in my trading career (not by choice) after serious hospitalization that almost killed me in the fall of 2016...the latter I continue to use after the 2 year recommended period...

Now just once per month.

wrbtrader

8. That's the best way indeed. Very inspirational.

David's faith likes this.
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

The greatest coaches weren't really great players when young, and they don't need to be. Check Bill Bellichik's sport record, when young.

Grantx likes this.
  10. danielc1

danielc1

I came in contact with Van Tharp in 1999. I found somethings I needed to work on, and went to a regular psychologist. The funny thing is that I even did not recognize I had troublesome behavior and I was self-sabotaging. I fought every inch about working on myself. I thought my youth was normal. I had no problems to overcome. Until I talked it over with a psychologist. No friends allowed in the house, no recognition, a parent that is narcissistic and controlled the whole family. You have physical abuse that you can recognize immediately, but mental abuse is not clearly visible, even when you go through it. You can spend a lifetime not knowing why you are who you are and what you do.

#10     Oct 27, 2020
    yc47ib, Hooti, Grantx and 1 other person like this.