Health Insurance in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NasdaqTrader, Jan 8, 2014.

1. I am so happy that Obamacare is finally here. I live in New Jersey. It is now easier to obtain Medicaid in New Jersey. For a family of 3, you can earn up to $25,975 and still qualify for Medicaid for the entire family. Here is a link...

http://www.njfamilycare.org/income.aspx

Health insurance will now cover pre-existing conditions, which is great. I plan to earn around $30,000 this year, so my family of 3 will get a $714 per month subsidy to pay for health insurance here in New Jersey. If I lived in New York City, I would get a $998 per month subsidy. The cheapest plan that I found in New Jersey is $721 per month for all 3 of us, so it will only cost me $7 per month out of my pocket. This is so great. Before Obamacare, I would have to pay the full $721 per month myself, but now it will only cost me $7 per month. My family has been without health insurance for 5 years now, since my wife quit her job 5 years ago to be a stay at home mother and I am self-employed. By not having health insurance for the past 5 years, I saved $43,000 in health insurance premiums. We just paid cash for my 6 year old daughter's annual checkups and my wife's annual Ob-Gyn visits. Thank goodness we are all healthy and did not need to go to the hospital for surgery or to the emergency room for the past 5 years.

I don't know why people are complaining about Obamacare, when it covers pre-existing conditions and most people can get a subsidy or Medicaid. The less you earn, the more subsidy you can get. It's beautiful!!!

You can check www.ehealthinsurance.com to see if you qualify for a subsidy.

2. 1) I'm pretty sure this post is a joke.

2) 30k earnings for a family of 3 in NJ is below poverty level.

3) if you've been trading since you registered on ET in 2002, and you're making 30k a year trading, you're not "self employed", you're an idiot. Go get a real job.

4) why would your wife quit her job to be a stay at home mother when you only make 30k a year and therefore had to cancel your healthy insurance?

5) Obamacare is a train wreck. For every one family like you it's helping, there are a dozen other families who are taking it in the ass.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

+1

Whole original post seems like a paid advertisement to what is a complete disaster for the country.

4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

And who is paying for your essentially free health care? The rest of us ....

PS Many pre-existing conditions are brought on by people who CHOOSE to be unhealthy. Go check out your local fast food joints, all you can eat buffets, local malls ... you might just note a lot of overweight and obese people. Those who choose to eat crap, not exercise and so on should be penalized with higher premiums since many of their so called pre-existing conditions are something they chose to bring on.

5. 1) It is not a joke.

2) People can live in NJ on $30k; you may be living paycheck to paycheck or close to it, but you can do it. Many people do it. Personally, I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath single family home, but you can buy cheap 2 bedroom condos in NJ in good towns with good schools. Here are just 2 of them, but there are many others throughout the whole state, especially the further you are from Manhattan...

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...nit-6_Vernon-Twp_NJ_07462_M65382-66575?row=14

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-1101_Cherry-Hill_NJ_08034_M58397-22598?row=7

3) I don't trade as much as I used to. I just buy SPY, DIA, and QQQ several times a year and hold them as long term investments. I have been doing this for years and it's been making me money. It's alot less stressful than daytrading and no risk of the stock going to zero because of bankruptcy. I own another self-employed small business that I earn money from. I work part-time and spend 2-3 months each summer travelling around Europe. I have plenty of money that I saved up over the years with my business when I worked full-time and that I made trading, but to qualify for a subsidy, they don't look at your assets, just what your estimated income is for this year. One can have a net worth of $100 billion, but still qualify for a subsidy if they expect to earn this year less than $78,120 for a family of 3.

4) She quit her job because daycare is very expensive. Half of her paycheck would have been spent on daycare. I think it's better for a mother to raise her own child than have strangers raising the child. I am an old fashioned guy and we need a society like we had several decades ago and before that, where women stayed home, cleaned, cooked, and took care of the children. We have a society where most women go to college and want to work, so that's one of the reasons unemployment is high, too many men competing with women for jobs. If all of the women stayed home, then every man most likely would have a job, and we would have 0% unemployment or close to zero. People need to live below their means. You have many families with both people working, just so they can buy huge homes, expensive cars, and other materialistic garbage that they don't need, while at the same time the children are being raised by strangers not knowing their parents real well. If we had 1 income households, then houses and many other things would be alot cheaper. People nowadays are just very greedy, selfish, and materialistic. I guess most people have been brainwashed into thinking that they need to accumulate "stuff" to be happier, which couldn't be further from the truth. The "stuff" ends up owning you, not you owning the "stuff".

6. Yes there are many obese people in the U.S. Of course, doctors and hospitals like that, since it increases their profits. Personally, my wife and I take care of our health, we exercise, and we buy organic meats, fruits, and vegetables from Whole Foods. We do not eat red meat, just fish and chicken as far as meats go. I'm 5'9 and weigh 140 pounds, so I'm thin. As far as exercise goes, I love rollerblading around Manhattan and sometimes do it for 4 hours. It's a great way to see the city.

7. Ricter

Ricter

+1.

It sucks to be poor, glad to hear you're family is getting covered. You'll be relieved to know that overall US healthcare costs are falling, so the system has a very good probability of being sustainable in perpetuity.

8. We are not poor. I just choose to work part-time, since I have enough money and love to spend time with my family, friends, and travelling the world.

9. Thank you for the reply. Just to follow up on your answers-

2) Vernon and Cherry Hill pretty much count as Pennsylvania (IMO). Cherry Hill is a stones throw from Philly! When you said NJ, I wrongly assumed within an hour of a bridge or tunnel.

3) Very nice.

4) Well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

Best of luck to you and your family.

10. Ricter

Ricter

You're right, my bad. Poor is as poor feels.

#10     Jan 9, 2014