Hetzner now offers also a location in the USA (cloud servers / VPS)

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by thecoder, Nov 5, 2021.

1. thecoder

thecoder

For all traders who use an Internet server (VPS, Cloud, Managed, Dedicated etc.),
    Hetzner now offers also a location in the USA, ie. this means nearer to the US stock exchanges:
    Details: https://www.hetzner.com/news/11-21-usa-cloud

BehindTheTicker and d08 like this.
  2. traider

traider

Too far need to be inside the data centers of the exchanges themselves to be really competitive.

3. Besides the Virginia location instead of Chicago or NYC Metro, Hetzner also does not have Windows Servers, only Linux. You can manually install a Windows Image yourself, but will need to buy the Windows Server license separately and self manage the configuration.

For traders that want cloud VPS in Chicago, we offer <1ms latency Chicago servers with very powerful AMD processors. Windows operating system is already fully licensed and installed so don't need to self manage. And the VPS are more than capable of trading lag free through remote desktop connection, feeling just like trading on a local computer.

4. d08

d08

Awesome news, will migrate.

5. WiktorK

WiktorK

Small lag from remote desktop to exchange is nice, but what is the point of this?
    There is still a lag between a local workstation and a VPS remote, so as I understand the time between submitting an order (locally) and its execution should not change.

6. d08

d08

For discretionary traders there is no benefit. It actually makes things slower as there is another layer in between. It only makes sense for fully automated traders. Nearly everyone on ET won't care about a ~5ms difference either way, especially on a retail platform where trade submission can easily take 200ms.

The idea of it being "lag free" is just hilarious as there is always lag and if you're connecting from outside North America, the lag for any discretionary trading is unbearable.

7. thecoder

thecoder

It's good for autotrading if everything is done programmatically on such a remote server (ie. w/o user intervention), then the response time is shorter due to the nearer distance to the destination (--> latency, ping time). For "Orderbook traders" (ie. Level-2 quotes), aka HFT, low latency is very important.
    But this shall not imply I'm doing such HFT, nope! :)

8. qlai

qlai

Anything special about them or you just want to use a single provider across the globe?

9. d08

d08

They have superb specs for the price. The price differences of course are not vast but I'm a cheapskate and prefer a good deal. For €12 ($15) you get 4 cores, 8GB RAM and 160gigs of storage. I'm currently with DigitalOcean and they are multiples more expensive.
    I've heard bad things about Hetzner support but we'll see.

10. traider

traider

Have you gone on Hetzner yet? Do you know if they support using your own custom windows iso? I'm on vultr now and looking to migrate since they made snapshots super expensive.

#10     Nov 6, 2021