How many round trips per day per instrument scalping 3 to 5 ticks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by birdman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. birdman

birdman

If you were to trade mostly all day, scalping for 3 to 5 ticks (be it auto or manual) how many round trips do you average per instrument?

Just wondering how many opportunities i am missing - plenty I'm sure. I have had as many as 16 trips, but it's usually more like 5 to 8. I may need to adjust my rules. Thanks for your comments.

2. Overnight

Overnight

Depends on your instrument I would think.

birdman likes this.
  3. Handle123

Handle123

LOL 3-5 ticks, that is funny, what dreams are made of. Man if you can average that, it be incredible. Get back down to Earth, scalping has many scratch trades and lucky to have them, but you still have fees, slippage, I never chase the market and generally use limit orders. I use to do up to 300 trades a day in ES when I was much younger. Much depends on how markets is playing out, too volatile, go elsewhere manually. Now with automation, trade as many symbols/hours you have money. But remember, if you using same rules to scalp Hogs, as to scalping Indexes, each market has it's own personality and hours most active, it is way not one size fits all. In scalping, it is not the getting in that is important, if volume is too low, the getting out might nail you but hurtful.

I have found if you scalp markets around the world are most active, like after USA day session closes, then few hours Japan Yen, Aussie/New Zealand currencies, gold, then Dax, Bund then Euro, UK back to USA. Always check for currencies when news coming out, you can take huge loses by not knowing when reports are due.

USA Indexes very different, some run/gun and ES chops for hours then all of a sudden screaming one way. ES is a hedge for many, NQ has more decent moves and ranges usually larger cash ranges.

Good luck.

birdman likes this.
  4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

When I was trading manually, I had about 10 executions per hour per instrument on average.

Now it's about the same, I just my instrument count went up x 100

birdman likes this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You are posing a very incomplete question.
    3-5 ticks per trade? That's *your* desire -- it's got nothing to do with reality.

Trend strength; reversal frequency; ATR; and then your choice of TP and SL -- these will give you your time-in-trade.

Your time-in-trade will give you your tick harvest.

birdman and Lou Friedman like this.
  6. I’d say 3 round trips on average for me trading in that manner.

.....Funny how I had to switch to a scalping strategy in order to become consistently profitable.

birdman likes this.
  7. maxinger

maxinger

it depends on which instruments.
    it could be few tens of round turns to > 100 round turns per session

birdman likes this.
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

you need just 1 round trip exactly. And instead of 16 trips just do 16 cars.

birdman likes this.
  9. maxinger

maxinger

I call such trading heavy scalping.

personally I don't think it is a good way of trading;
    Success rate is rather low.
    But if it works for you, by all means go do it.

birdman likes this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:D

And if you find the right leverage, just do it once a year. :wtf:

(OP, the Word Of The Day here is, expectancy.) ;)

#10     Apr 22, 2019
    birdman likes this.