How to measure probability of side ways move

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bln, Jun 6, 2022.

1. bln

bln

What are good methods or tools to predict or measure the likelihood of side ways price movement X time units forward?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. taowave

taowave

Read up on the BS option model and ND1 and ND2...

Not the be all end all,but worth looking into

newwurldmn likes this.
  3. panzerman

panzerman

See attached. Obviously, the assumption of normality is suspect, but you get the basic math.

MACD likes this.
  4. You have to define the length of the trade: is it a day, week, month, year ....similar to a sporting event. Most have a fixed time.
    And then consider the fixed variables, combined with the dynamic variables that would make that ball line future movement dance.
    Make your relative assumption bet....and wait patiently for that trigger confirmation. When the moment presents itself...pull the trigger, place the bet.

This applies to anticipating upwards movement, downwards movement, or relatively flat movement expectation.

The Devil, of course, are in the details. The above is just a quick, rundown, summary of the process.
    I do this daily with the S&P.

5. taowave

taowave

I'll bite..lets see some math..Are you running GARCH/ARCH models??

6. I don't use models (or anyone else's bogus, theorized, system); I have never even heard of those things...nor care to look up what they are.

I trade the daily S&P. I use a combination of fixed data points, combined with more dynamic, looser, open-minded, reasonably, intuitive expectations. And for the most part, I'm rather, highly, right. I'm able to buy and sell the major move of the day.
    If I were to ever teach or sell my process....I would charge a million bucks for my course -- because that's what it's truly worth.

7. taowave

taowave

Im truly humbled to be in your presence,but the OP appeared to be asking a question related to trading vol ,I.e predicting the likelihood of a sideways move for a given duration.

ET180, murray t turtle, Baozi and 2 others like this.
  8. schizo

schizo

Unless one has a crystal ball, nobody really knows for certain. But something like Darvas Box is a good tool to utilize for beginners IMO.

9. SunTrader

SunTrader

LOL

10. taowave

taowave

OP,if you are intersted in the likelyhood of price movement from a "modeling" perspective,check out Hoadley's program...Its a bit dated,but you can look at Probability cones,Garch modeling,etc...Its obviously very theoretical,but its what you are looking for...If you want a sure thing,take MacPros course and see if he will offer it for 500k,which is a 50% percent discount..Doubt he bites,but its worth a shot

#10     Jun 6, 2022