IB withheld $100k as tax.

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by trend2009, Jun 17, 2021.

1. I managed a few accounts for my friends. I received API warning from IB asking the tax form of one account must be updated by the end of day,otherwise 24% tax will be withheld. My friend lives in a country with tax treaty with US, he is not required to pay US IRS. he did update his tax form that day. But the following day, 100k was deducted from his account. Anyway to reclaim the fund for him?

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

There’s obviously a lot more to this story than you have written in 7 lines. This is an issue squarely between you and IB.

VPhantom and ChipShotTrader like this.
  3. Girija

Girija

So do you think a non resident non citizen is not liable for income from us sources?
    Possibly a wrong assumption. Ib wd have sent to irs. Talk to the support agent.

4. speedo

speedo

For the sake of discussion, let's assume this story is true, as this is ET you never know (well sometimes you do). Hopefully the account is in his name and not yours and there is a custodial agreement in place. In any event with 100k in question, it would be worth consulting with a tax attorney and not just random anonymous posters.

VPhantom, Ninja and smallfil like this.
  5. danielc1

danielc1

Every story is true at ET, until proof otherwise...

OptionsOptionsOptions and They like this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Agreed. Now I'm going to drive my Buggati to my girlfriend's house. She just found out she lost her job as a Victoria's Secret Angel today.

mwahal, Sig, Apologetik and 3 others like this.
  7. hilmy83

hilmy83

Since when brokers withhold money for taxes?

Their only job is to provide forms for you to file. Something ain't right with this story

radkrish and VPhantom like this.
  8. comagnum

comagnum

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. deaddog

deaddog

I had the same problem years ago. My W8BEN expired. It took a phone call if I remember to fix it.

VPhantom and trend2009 like this.
  10. virtusa

virtusa

What is a Buggati? Caught you... you have no Bugatti as you can't even write the name correct. :D

https://www.bugatti.com/

#10     Jun 17, 2021