In search of video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rolextrader, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Please recommend an ATI video card compatible with these parts in a three 20" monitor system (Win 7 64bit). Main app is trading and strategy development. Thanks for your input.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

8GB GSkill PC3 10600 DDR3 1333mhz RAM

(2x 500GB) Western Digital Caviar Black Internal HDD RAID.

2. I am using ati firemv 2400.. sometimes they go for about 100$ on ebay.. mostly 170 i think. good card, i like it alot, 4 montitor without any problems one of them being a 40 inch plasma.

3. Why ATI? At a minimum, not better than Nvidia.... and you can get 2 Nvidia Quadro NVS dualheads for trading display for $60-ish or less.

4. With Nvidia, the cards and the chipset have to waste time forcing compatibility with each other, instead of using a streamlined architecture so everything can communicate faster. Also, AMD gets me the price performance I'm looking for.

5. What? Sounds like total hogwash! The workstation Quadro NVS line of video cards was DESIGNED to work with others... seamlessly.

If any video card maker would have a "problem with cards and chipsets' compatibility" it would be ATI. They're not even a minor player in the "multi-card display" market...

ATI's forte is "single video card, gaming performance".

6. What model Quadro NVS do you recommend?

7. Any, really. I think they're all compatible together... all use the same Nvidia driver.

If you want to go 1st class and have 2, PCIEx16 slots on your mobo, check out the NVS 295... has double the bandwidth of 290/285.... and the 295 can handle up to 2 monitors, 2560x1600 res in DVI.

I said earlier one could get two NVS cards for $60-ish.... that's for 290/285... 295s are more.

I've been using NVS cards since the "55" days... all have been compatible with other NVS cards, regardless of model, and just terrific for trading... however, newer driver versions don't support older cards up to a point. Current driver supports 285 and later.

8. Well, I have the 2 pcie slots; but driving 3 screens will require two of those cards, which is a bit more than I hoped to pay.

9. Baloney. 2, NVS cards... $60. That's too much? If you're careful and patient, I'll bet you can get 2 dualhead cards on eBay for $30, total. That too much also? (I've bought NEW NVS cards for <$10...)

Rationalize any farkin' thing you want.... Nvidia Quadro NVS cards are the BEST thing going for trading apps...

I know about ATI... I had a trading computer with 4 ATI cards at one time... gave them all up for Nvidia Quadro..

I'm done with this. You've got the benefit of my experience... do with it as you will.

10. I was speaking of the high end. Appreciate your input. I'll shop around.

#10     Feb 22, 2010