Is DOM/Order Flow Trading Dead?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by RichLyons, May 11, 2017.

1. I have heard yes and no from two very qualified prop firm guys. One insists that it is dead because of bots and algorithms, the other says that it is much harder than it used to be, but still profitable. Yet even another says that bots and algos have helped him. What are your opinions? If an order flow trader was making, say, $10,000 a month three years ago, what are they making now?

777 likes this.
  2. algofy

algofy

I tried it several years ago and couldn't control my discipline to make good trades, I'm gonna try it again someday, I still think there is something there.

3. Handle123

Handle123

I don't use order flow as system generator, but programming as it factored in to basically say what is safe risk.

777 and JefeTrader like this.
  4. DOM is cool when/if things are moving very fast.You see how the minority is controlling the winning side.

5. For every study there should be the right time and the right place though.

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You aren't going to find too many DOM traders these days. Its a dying art mainly due to heavy presence these days of algorithms.

Yet, you'll meet a few traders still using it and swears by it. I've met a few like that and they're former stock traders that were scalpers or heavy into level II stuff.

7. pk3r1234

pk3r1234

I think it depends what you trade. I've heard trading penny stocks is impossible without it, I don't trade penny stocks though.