Is This A Real Quote By Jesus?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by vanzandt, Jan 1, 2021.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Obviously I'm far from a thumper.... so I'm just repeating (paraphrasing) some words I heard last night...
    .... but I latch on to things like this.
    I mean if Jesus said this.....

"I can only offer salvation to the sinners...
    ....not the righteous."

Pretty deep as these things go.

Good words.
    Great words really.

If you didn't catch it, read it again.

Did he really say that?
    I'd like a verse/chapter/line # .... etc

But they are great words.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Jesus didn't say anything himself. He said only what people who heard him say, said. Pretty fucked up that a guy who was so learned in God and life and spirit, blah blah blah blah, never ever wrote anything down. An illiterate Jew? Who woulda' thunk it?

It's a racket made up by the council of Constantinople, to succumb the world to the slaverlords of the day. And that day, 1900 years later, is still in effect. Bollocks!

3. Wallet

Wallet

No.

Imo, what you read is a misinterpretation or someone trying to recall a verse without memorization.

Probably Jesus talking about his ministry was aimed at sinners not the righteous as recorded in Matthew, Mark and Luke.

And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32 ESV

And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Matthew 9:11-13

4. vanzandt

vanzandt

I interpreted it to mean there's no hope for the so called "righteous". In other words, he could only save sinners, not the "righteous".
    That's why I liked it.
    ....It calls out the hypocrites of the world we live in.

5. Wallet

Wallet

Lol, well there’s something to be said for that. I always liked the phrase, “ if you let a hypocrite stand between you and God, they’re closer to God than you.

In Jesus’ day the Pharisee’s were the ultimate, what you would call “religious zealots”. Their entire life was wrapped around following a strict religious code of their own making. They layered or fenced laws around major laws so by not breaking a minor one you couldn’t break a major one. Example, it was against the law to work on the Sabbath, so they made it against the law to carry a mat, light a fire, lifting two knitting needles, etc. on the sabbath.

As a result they prided themselves on their ability to keep the law which they thought made them acceptable to God and righteous and in false piety looked down on others

The problem with this thinking, which still exists today, people view themselves against a manmade ideology of self-worth, at least I’m better than that guy, I don’t do this or that. But none of us are acceptable or righteous in God’s view. Tis why Jesus’ said “I desire Mercy, not sacrifice.” A major part of the Jewish religious law centered around ritual sacrifices for the forgiveness of sin which were supposed to point them to their need of an Ultimate sacrifice, that being Jesus.

Jesus warned about the “Leaven of the Pharisees”. Leaven or yeast is always cast in a negative light and is a representative of sin. And He called them hypocrites on many occasions. Jesus also warned that at the judgement seat many would say.

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ Matt. 7:21-23 ESV

It’s not about our good deeds, we can’t be “good” enough but it’s about having a personal relationship with God and accepting His “Mercy”.

So when Jesus acknowledges someone in the Bible as righteous, it’s because He knows them. Jesus’ sole purpose on his first coming was to establish that path to “Mercy” for sinners.

6. stu

stu

True.
    Fictional characters in ancient story books don't really say stuff.

Be like... is This A Real Quote By Achilles?.

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

I'm not following this "mercy" thing. In the context of the English language, it doesn't really fit; with regards to the context that it was used at least. Or maybe it does. But this: "I desire mercy, not sacrifice". To me that's a hodgepodge arrangement of nouns. Jesus wants our mercy? Why? Seems to me he'd ask to show mercy anywhere else but for him. One can define both 'mercy' and 'sacrifice' in a bunch of different ways.

See this is why so many charlatans can use biblical verse however they chose. Not you; I'm certainly not implying that, but just in general.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

That makes absolutely zero sense there stu-ball.

A talking unicorn dancing with a flying buffalo on some heavenly cloud above planet Elon can certainly express the wisdom the writer intends to convey.

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Well, maybe humankind needed a "racket", because 1900 years later despite the best efforts of some, we're still not a race of complete barbarians.
    Best watch your prose Abe... or else....

10. Wallet

Wallet

Yes, sadly there’s a few that do that.

To your question, Jesus was quoting an Old Testament prophet Hosea. Some back history is necessary....it wasn’t long after the Nation of Israel had conquered and taken possession of their promised land that they started falling back into their old ways, idol worship, breaking their religious laws, etc. As a result of the nation turning their back on God and his provision, God removed his protection and through the voices of his prophets, warned the Israelites of their sin and upcoming destruction and captivity. This is the basic theme of the OT prophets, repent of your sin and return to God.

The prophet Isiah starts his writings with the statement that God is tired of the Israelite’s sacrifices, actually calls them vain and abominations. They were doing the ritual sacrifices, going through the religious motions, but their hearts and minds were on everything other than God.

Hosea another Old Testament prophet echoes this and was the scripture Jesus referenced.

For I desire steadfast love [mercy] and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6 ESV

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6 KJV.

I quoted a couple of different translations to better understand the context, actually the text explains itself. God desires mercy or the knowledge of God i.e. our personal knowledge or relationship with God more than sacrifice i.e. burnt offerings (the type of animal sacrifices used by the Jews)

To put it simply God desires our attention, love, friendship more than just religious duty. Specially when we’re daily doing the things that God hates and then showing up at Church like everything’s ok thinking we’re Saints.

Now here’s the catch. It doesn’t matter how good I am, doing everything right day after day.... I’m still not doing enough good to overcome my bad stuff in God’s eyes. He even says our good deeds are like filthy rags to him.

So how can I or what can I do that’s enough to tip the scales in my benefit?........ I can’t, a sinful man, even the slightest sinful man you can imagine, Billy Graham for example, cannot coexist/commune with a completely HOLY GOD. Actuality God in being Just, has to condemn all sin...... and that’s the whole point of Jesus and why he came.

God placed on Jesus the sin of mankind, the penalty and judgment. Jesus paid “in full” the total debt of sin. The Bible says God was pleased to do this.??? Why, because He loves us.

Understand there is nothing that you or I can do to balance the scales, actually there’s nothing we can even add, everything is based on Jesus, his death and resurrection, alone, period.

Like a pardon, God offers this (paid in full pardon)to each us, but we have to accept it. When we do, God no longer holds our sins against us, instead he sees the price Jesus paid on our behalf, allowing the relationship God seeks. It’s at this point God allows his Holy Spirt, His presence into a person’s life enabling that relationship. You just have to ask and accept it and have faith that God will do it. He will!

I can’t fully explain it Van but there’s a difference.

This is the “Mercy” of which Jesus spoke.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    #10     Jan 2, 2021