ISEC Wealth Management reviews on their risk-management approach wanted

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by IamaMars, Mar 26, 2021.

1. IamaMars

IamaMars

I would like to know about the experience of cooperation with ISEC WM.
    I have a problem - I want to raise money for my child's education. I saved a couple thousand dollars and would like to invest. I don't really feel I can deal with investments myself, so I'm looking for a portfolio management options.
    I read about ISEC Wealth Management, they have good reviews. Maybe someone knows how this company works? I'm not sure yet how good this idea is. Maybe...Is it better to make a deposit at the bank, nomatter how weird this sounds?
    I need to save 10,000 in 5 years. I plan to add money to the deposit every month. Firstly, I need to save the money and secondly, increase.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly

registered in Cyprus? are you completely retarded? LOL :)

DiceAreCast and spudpei like this.
  3. guru

guru

Assuming they’re legit, and that’s a big question since they’re incorporated in Cyprus and their online reviews are poorly written and suspicious; they’re not psychics and can’t do anything differently than your local bank. Banks usually offer money management services and will setup a portfolio that you can invest in. Though all of them also charge fees, so it may be even better if you’d open a brokerage account at a reputable brokerage (like Interactive Brokers or TD Ameritrade) and bought SPY stock (S&P 500), adding to your investment every so often. Banks and wealth management firms usually can’t do better than that, but can be easier to work with locally.
    At the least don’t look for offshore companies that aren’t well known and can disappear together with your money.

4. Open a lite account with IB. Invest in an index tracking etf every month, done. Unless any other venue invests in fixed income securities or savings and loan products you wont be exposed to more risk than at any other fund. But you should know investments are risky. No risk, no return.

5. Junos

Junos

How well does the advice to invest with buying SPY or invest in index tracking etf correlates with the topicstarter's goal to save money first-of-all and get some decent ROI secondly?
    With all the respect to the US economy, this is exactly what happens with the US indices every couple years.

6. guru

guru

That’s irrelevant. A wealth management firm doesn’t employ psychics and will charge fees for the exact same or worse performance.
    Also see: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...in-2008-pandemic-2020-was-up-18.357461/page-2

7. IamaMars

IamaMars

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested © Speaking seriously, I understand a little what you mean. I need to clarify though that I live in the EU. CySEC regulation is the must here. No matter how good SEC cerbers are in the US they have little to zero interest in what happens to me and my investmetns here in Europe. We used to have british FCA as a better alternative here but Brexit made things different now. So basically Cyprus is the financial center here now. It's got slightly lower taxes ut it's not an offshore zone anymore. ISEC WM is not only located in Cyprus. It's regulated by the only credible european regulator that guarantees EU residents' funds safety.

Thank you for the advice! I need to apologize myself for my 'poorly written' posts first of all. As you might know English is not a native language for around 85% of EU population and my English is far from perfect too. I hope this is not the reason to disciminate my questions and opinions here. I've done some research on what banks can offer. This is the option that I also consider at the moment. Unfortunately, the funds that were recommended to me by bank managers as 'good for college savings' had excellent results during the last year or two. They showed very poor performance on average when taking 5-10 years in account, which is a matter of my highest concern. I don't wan't to end up empty-handed when The Time comes.

*nervously laughing* exactly! I know these indices are probably a good solution if we speak of at least 20 years of savings (historically). Yet, the idea to invest all the savings in a SINGLE country's economy speaking of only 5 years scope... guys, sorry, god bless America, but I'm not all in this stake.

8. guru

guru

No, there are just too many scams out there and people here in the forum are always looking for potential red flags. And we see posts from people whose money were stolen and then everyone is asking why they did business with an unknown company that they cannot sue or even find. I wouldn’t point out potential issues if I didn’t wish you well. I’ve seen Cyprus incorporation services that definitely can be used to avoid liability, and to setup a virtual office to hide actual location (or lack of location). There are legitimate companies and there are shady companies. And I wouldn’t do business with someone that I cannot easily sue if they steal my money, which would be more difficult in Cyprus than locally. The first goal is to be careful, perform due diligence and verify that the firm is legit and you can trust them. Secondly, even legitimate firms usually can’t do better than any other bank, firm, or a basket of stocks. Investment firms that produce great returns one year, even for large clients, often fall to the bottom the following year(s). Of course all of the above is just an opinion.

IamaMars likes this.
  9. IamaMars

IamaMars

Thank you for all the good wishes! :)
    I understand all the concerns and there really is a lot of scam in the sphere, so I really appreciate what you and other members do by pointing out the potential red flags!
    If I'm not mistaken, the legitimacy of the Cyprus-based company can easily be checked using the website of the official regulator, which is CySEC in this particular case. CySEC does not have that many requirements as SEC has got. Still, the investment firm must have at least 750K of own capital and must keep the clients funds on segregated accounts. There also is an insurance they provide the customers of regulated firms with. Up to 20K euros are insured, which is not much, but better than nothing. This is basically what I've managed to find.
    I checked the CySEC site to see what kinds of activities ISEC WM can provide, and they are listed as portfolio management investment firm there. So I really don't have that many concerns on the firm's legitimacy.
    My real concern lies in the field of what is safer and more profitable. I am more of a currency trader and to tell the truth, daytrading it's more of a hobby for me. Investments are very different. Balanced portfolio of stocks, fixed income, different equities and ETFs that alltogether can yield more than a bank deposit but be free from the risk of major market retracement - that's my goal. Given the lack of knowledge in the sphere and considering the stake is my child's education - I'd rather delegate the task in this case. ISEC says they've got some quantitative mathematical approach to investments, and this sounds rather intriguing.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly

"ISEC says they've got some quantitative mathematical approach to investments, and this sounds rather intriguing."

they don't, it's all BS. Go with a real robo-advisor in the US, like WealthFront or Betterment

#10     Apr 25, 2021
    guru likes this.