Lee Haney | Avoid Keto & Low Carbs | Nutrition Mistakes I learned from Winning Mr. Olympia

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, May 26, 2023.

2. Although I would have preferred to have a physique like Frank Zane because it looks more "normal," I think Haney was the greatest Mr. Olympia of all time. His combination of size, symmetry and tiny waist was otherworldly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know that comes down to genetics once you factor out the training and the drugs, but I think his advice on keto ("don't do it!") is spot on.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You don't see too many guys today with that much muscle while also holding a midsection vacuum like he is in the photo above.

4. Yes, the vacuum was more a thing in the pre-mass-monster era. That it largely fell by the wayside does not speak well for present day bodybuilding. The thing is, Haney was something of a "mass monster" himself, comparatively speaking, but with lines that you don't really see anymore.

There was a finesse and detail in the so-called golden era of BB that makes the larger present day contenders look like bulls in china shops. The same goes with female bodybuilding. It was something to behold in the earlier days; now it's just another freak show.

5. DTB2

DTB2

6. DTB2

DTB2

The guy on the left.

The Austrian Oak

7. I like Arnold, and I think his physique in his prime was outstanding. But his hips were relatively wide, which is why most of his best poses had him turned at least partly to the side. Not his fault, but it is what it is. Dorian was too big in the gut, which I think might have been at least in part due to the nature of the drug cocktail being served at the time. But in his early, pre-mass-monster days, I recall him having a better midsection. I don't recall ever seeing him doing a vacuum pose when he was massed out. Lee's shoulder-to-hip ratio beats all three, and he was able to do a vacuum pose even at his peak size.

The shoulder-to-hip thing, and a small gut is a bias of mine. It's what first catches my eye. But that's just my opinion.

8. DTB2

DTB2

True, but the BDB, Side Chest and Most Muscular pose has Arnold waaaaay ahead of Haney. Let's not discuss calves.

9. I agree that Arnold owns some of the poses.

#10     May 27, 2023