Matterport

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by vanzandt, Nov 1, 2021.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Some stocks deserve their own thread.

It's a tough call.
    The straddle is pricing in a 20% move.
    That's pretty big.

Honestly... I think its gonna go up Jane.

That news they released last week, where they announced they are making the app available for free to a billion users worldwide...
    My god... its genius.

They are basically going to create a "Google Maps" of the inside of every building in the world over time, for free. Ok not every (obviously), but a lot. The incremental cost of passing out the app is nil. They just scale their cloud as more and more data and images flow in. And even though the apps is free for personal use, they'll own all that data, all those 3d images, and that's a goldmine going forward. There's a million ways to monetize that, and you can bet, they have a plan.

But wait, there's more.

We are not even considering what kind of in-app ads they can sell, nor are we considering the value of the data mined with regards to what people are doing and what they are thinking. That's an AI bonanza ripe for the picking.

In a way, this will, on a smaller scale, create a community. And when I say smaller, I only mean that in comparison to the likes of FB or Snapchat, and I'd expect forthcoming deals from those two also.

It will become, in a way, a social media platform. On top of everything else it already is

I don't know how I missed that news last week, because I would have definitely bought on that. I don't think it's too late though. I liked this stock from day one, before anyone had ever heard of it. I like it more now.

It's pricey... but I think it has a lot of potential. It's hard to buy in on a 10% up day, so I guess cross your fingers and hope it drops when some analyst says blah blah blah because you know they will. I still remember what they said about FB when it was in the $40s, or more recently SNAP below $10.

I like the Matterhorn.
    $24

2. janes

janes

interesting stuff van. i have been focusing on the penny stuff so much that i haven't been following the news on this--just a glance at the headlines and the price action. i always say i'm going to buy a small position in MTTR and hold for years, but every time it jumps i end up selling it. and it's worked out for me, because right now it's just been rolling up and down over time, but i might rather have the long position at this point.

or when josh brown comes on and pumps it again i'm selling in like five seconds.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I don't want these insights to get buried in the noise of other threads, but did @unconventional wisdom just provide (what might be) some kind of Peter Lynch(ian) type observation of the Metaverse here?

I think he did.

4. janes

janes

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

You just hit reply on the original post, copy everything within the square brackets, and then paste it into the new thread.

This is it exactly, our brave new world and we are at the tip of the iceberg. If you look at Matterport's website and play with the demos, it's incredible.
    This stock will still be very volatile near term, but it'll do well long term. Personally I think it'll get bought out by a bigger player at some point. There's just too many ways to monetize this stuff. From insurance companies, real estate, Metaverse, virtual vacations, shared experiences.
    And it may get bought out sooner than we'd expect. With the nasdaq at all-time highs and tech on fire again, it's a perfect time for the acquirers to use their stock as currency and buy IP.

Matterhorn not only has the first mover advantage, they also have dozens and dozens of patents that should provide a substantial moat, making it cheaper for the likes of FB or someone to just buy them instead of attempting to build something similar in house.

I think if it sells off tomorrow night or Thursday morning, $18 will be a solid floor in a worse case scenario. Odds are it will stay within the straddle either way. That's my guess at least. It's having a nice recover so far this morning.

janes likes this.
  6. janes

janes

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

Josh lol.... pure New Yorker. :D
    He's good.
    Ya know its not his fault that when he says something at lunch a stock spikes a few percent and then it drops right back down to where it was.
    At least he try's to tell people not to do that.
    In a way it says a lot about how many people respect him.
    I've done well off a few of his picks. Only because I did the DD of course, and decided they were ok. Not unlike what I do with Stoney's 30 picks/day.
    Did I say 30?
    I mean 50.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  8. janes

janes

where was josh brown! i had my sell order ready to go.

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Matterport closed up 22% today.
    $27.12

Interesting article:

ATI Shortens the Insurance Claims Cycle by 400% with Matterport
    C&R Editor November 15, 2021 8:42

Matterport, Inc. (Nasdaq: MTTR), the leading spatial data company driving the digital transformation of the built world, recently revealed that ATI Restoration has realized dramatic cost savings and productivity gains since its adoption of the Matterport TruePlan™ for Xactimate™ service, a software platform from Verisk. Used in conjunction with a Matterport 3D scan, TruePlan has helped the company increase productivity by 500% and speed up the estimation process for insurance claims by an average of 400%. In addition, the time savings from not having to sketch manually or conduct repeat site visits saves ATI the equivalent of more than $100,000 per estimator per year in labor costs.

“The days of paper and pencil sketching are over,” said Robb Harrell, Director of Operational Improvements and Technology at ATI. “We’re getting much more accurate measurements, dramatically faster field inspections, faster repairs, and faster claims resolution. Using Matterport digital twins and TruePlan for Xactimate has been transformative for our business and the industry at large, but most importantly, to the people trying to get their lives back to normal.”

Before adopting TruePlan, ATI estimators took photographs and manually measured and sketched damages onsite, often returning to verify measurements or capture an angle that may have been missed. ATI’s new workflow with Matterport eliminates all of these steps.

First, ATI scans properties with its Matterport Pro2 3D cameras to create photorealistic, immersive digital twins that can be accessed and utilized by estimators, subcontractors and insurance companies alike. TruePlan generates 99% accurate sketches from the digital twin, which eliminates the need for manual sketching of a property in Xactimate, the industry’s leading insurance claims software used to calculate building damage, estimate repair costs, generate property loss statements and create claim offers.

Estimators can now estimate repairs remotely from their home or remote offices with TruePlan because they can digitally measure damage from any angle inside the digital twin, use Mattertags to embed information, and add Notes to collaborate with others. The need for estimators to return to the site is reduced or even eliminated in some cases; even subcontractors can get the specifications they need from the digital twin.

“Companies like ATI not only see the value of Matterport and TruePlan, but take it one step further by aiding insurance carriers to improve the policyholder experience by settling claims faster. Digital twin technology is having a deep impact in the world of claims and advancing the insurance experience with every capture,” said Kimberly Burdi-Dumas, Global Director of Insurance Strategy at Matterport.

10. janes

janes

i finally got to do my sale! but a large part of me thought it might keep going up today, though looks like it's pulling back a little in pre-market.

#10     Nov 16, 2021