Max Number of Contracts for Retail Traders?

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by killATwill, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Anyone know what the general limit is in terms of max contracts held at one time for retail traders who use basic platforms like ETrade?

I'm assuming a singe contract type, not a portfolio of different contracts.

Thanks

2. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Margins are the main constraint, then it is up to the risk dept. at Etrade and then there are reporting limits by the CFTC.

Let me know specific contract and i can assist.

killATwill likes this.
  3. ajacobson

ajacobson

Generally, the industry has considered 200+ securities options, where a large position report is required to be as non-retail. Traditionally it's the metric used for retail vs. institutional. OPRA does not have a specific code for retail or institutional. It does carry other identifying codes.

killATwill likes this.
  4. rb7

rb7

CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  5. Didn't see it in the spreadsheet, but the last time I saw a posted number for "max position size", it was 20,000 contracts.

6. rb7

rb7

Yep.
    'Retail Traders' and 'position limits' usually don't go in the same sentence...;)

comagnum and VEGASDESERT like this.
  7. smallfil

smallfil

Call E*Trade and ask them? That seems to be the most logical thing to do.

8. I'd guess 999. Can't imagine a broker whats any retail person trading above 1000 lots... unless they have long term relationship with them. Just a guess though.

killATwill likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

It also depends on the instrument. For example, I know that the ES has a much higher aggregate limit than the meat futures.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  10. traider

traider

Max number is what I hold before my wife starts calling her boyfriend.

#10     Feb 9, 2022
    HawaiianIceberg likes this.