Multiple portfolios within same account in TWS?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by ffs1001, Oct 12, 2020.

1. ffs1001

ffs1001

I have an account with TWS and all my trades go there. But I trade numerous strategies, and would like to separate them for accounting purposes. Ideally, I would like a portfolio (or some sort of 'box', classification or grouping mechanism) for my earnings trades, another for my short-selling trades, a third one for my index trades etc.

However, it's not possible to have more than one portfolio in TWS. The IB support person tells me that I need to create sub-accounts for each.

I'd rather not do this, cos - would I need to login separately into each sub-account to execute a trade? Would each sub-account need to be funded separately? etc etc.

Has anyone been able to find a work around for this? Is there a way to group trades into say 'A', 'B', 'C' and then run reports of those groups.

2. guru

guru

You'd have to track those internally like using their API; or use sub-accounts.
    Sub-accounts are very easy to use and you don't need to login separately, just select the account when placing each trade.

upload_2020-10-12_13-57-8.png

upload_2020-10-12_13-56-51.png

Each account needs to be funded separately, but cash transfers between accounts are instant.

qlai and ffs1001 like this.
  3. Tried their sub-accounts yet? Makes things more orderly.