Need More Info on Dell 5820

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qqq, May 23, 2022.

1. qqq

qqq

Hi Scat & everyone. Really appreciate your help.

This is in continuation with my previous thread.

Since I have to go back to 5820 with Xeon W-2235, 16 GB DDR4, 2933MHz RAM, 3 x NVIDIA T-600, does NVMe SSD help in anyway with charting application that stores tick data in application folder on C: drive & I have to very often reconstruct Random Tick charts from it's pool of tick data?

As you said NVMe doesn't help in boot time & Dell doesn't offer regular SSDs, Sata 7200 or 5400 rpm is the only choice I have. I don't play games or Video editing etc so Tick charts is the only fun thing for me besides watching news.

Sata 7200 rpm is pain in %^&* when it comes to loading Win-7 on my current Dell T-7500 with Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 GHz.

Also constructing tick charts also takes time & I don't have choice of minute charts in most cases. Seconds charts are also constructed from ticks pool.

If I go for NVMe, one of the 16X ( wired as x8 ) will be taken by NVMe card so will the 3rd graphics card run on 16X ( wired as x4 ) ?

Thank You all.

2. 3rd graphics card will run on x4 slot. You're being told that your NVME has to run on an x16 slot with 8 lanes? That seems unusual. Should run on x16 wired as 4 lanes.

Another choice is to run the NVME from one of the SATA rack mounts. There's an adapter for that.

Hint... if NVME option costs more, it will probably be "more than it should". You could....

1. Order with spinner drive to save money
    2. Buy your own SSDs online
    3. Clone spinner drive to SSD and run your system on that. If the speed seems satisfactory, just go with it. If you still want to add NVME, you can add later and use the SSD as a backup/clone. (Cloning likely to be slow... reading from spinner... But, should have to do it only once.)

You'll see speed improvement. New CPU about 3x faster than your current.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    qqq likes this.
  3. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

4. Those 2 data sheets are interesting.... number of PCIE lanes, memory slots, monitors supported and other.

The Core i9 is very much a "gamer" CPU.... different from workstation.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  5. qqq

qqq

Yes, I got a quote long time ago & what they are doing is put a card with 1 to 4 MVMe on that card & insert it in x8 slot if you choose 1 or 2 NVMe & if you choose 3 or 4 then they insert it in x16 slot. They call it Ultra speed SSD.

Then you have a choice of having 2 NVMe in front of chassis which they call it Flexbay & that costs less.

But bigger problem is that they changed quite a few hardware in last couple of days & I think that is due to supply chain disruption. So lot of components are extremely higher prices & overall price now is 30% higher.

So now the other choice is Precision 3660 with one problem of having only two GPUs instead of 3 that I need for 12 monitors.

So I need a solution of how to run the 3rd card. Luckily it has two Display ports which might run two more Monitors ? OR wrong.

It has plenty USB 3.2 Type C. Would that work ?

Or finding a x16 riser that will fit into third empty PCIe x4 slot & run 3rd card that way ?

Would appreciate any & all ideas.

Other components in 3660 are not bad I think. e.g. i-7 12700 instead of Xeon W-2235 and Non ECC RAM. Also 3 M.2 dedicated ports for 3 NVMe and 3 more SATA HDDs.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

get a second hand one on eBay.

Scataphagos likes this.
  7. Jumpin' through too many hoops....

You could look for PCIE x4-to-x16 adapter. However, when using adapters you often sacrifice resolution. You'd want to get some info on whatever you find or just learn about it when you try to apply. (Also the case would have to be wide enough to accommodate.)

qqq likes this.
  8. Whoa, Buckeroo! I just had a thought that will probably save your bacon.

You'll want to check the specs of your proposed CPU. The main reason gamer/consumer rigs come with only 1, x16 slot is because their CPUs support a max of 4-monitors. You want to run 12 monitors... you've got no choice but you get a genuine workstation with 3 or more x16 slots!

Check the 2 links from Bad_Badness above. The Core i9-12900HK is fast, but supports only 4 monitors. Also has only 28 PCIE lanes. This hot performer is a "no go" for workstation applications with >4 monitors. I'm sure you'll find the same for whatever CPU is in your proposed 3660. (and besides... the 3660 has onboard graphics. Ewww!)

This leaves open the question of workstations offered with Core iX CPUs... do they still run >4 monitors? I checked a few Core iX specs... they all said they support up to 4 monitors.

Bad_Badness likes this.
  9. So.... for someone who wants most of the qualities of a workstation and can live with the limitations of "4 monitors, <48 PCIE lanes, 64GB of RAM", one could buy one with a Core iX CPU and save a few $$.)

10. qqq

qqq

Scat, I love workstations with Xeon as much as you do because I have been using one for 10 years straight for 16 Hrs a day running 12 monitors with a CPU as you said one third as powerful.

I looked at 3660 because 3 days ago 5820 was priced at $ 3200.00 & same is $5200.00 today because they don't have the same parts.

4 Monitors might be using onboard GPU but when you put in 2 video cards with 4 DP or mini DP, it should run 8 monitors & that is just my 2 cents & I am no hardware expert. There are hundreds of videos on you tube showing how to run 12 monitors from a Laptop ( Of course 1080p ) using USB 3, HDMI & Docking station & other stuff.

Meanwhile I will do more research on it. I have relied greatly on your expertise in past & generosity in spending time for everyone not just me & for that I will always be grateful.

Dell offers many 5820 with i-5 to i-9 12th generation with 2 video cards with 4 DP & Mini DP. So my question is what people will do with 8 ports ? Just wondering.

#10     May 24, 2022