New York's brownstone mansion from the old world

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by JSOP, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JSOP

JSOP

http://www.sothebyshomes.com/nyc/sales/00111355-29-East-93rd-Street-New-York-NY-10128

Stepping into this mansion is REALLY like stepping back in time. I can totally picture a Fitzgerald novel taking place in this mansion. According to the listing, it's a property that rarely comes onto the market. I hate to think the reason why it's come onto the market is because it's been sold out of estate.

You should DEFINITELY try the 3D video.

2. speedo

speedo

Beautiful building and workmanship but whoever can afford it can afford to gut it and redo and that's what will happen.

3. JSOP

JSOP

Some brute who has no appreciation for history and no taste for art like Tiger Woods' ex-wife would definitely do such a thing (She demolished an entire Art Deco mansion from the 1920's in Florida and rebuilt a tacky house on top of the property). The should stipulate it in the contract as a condition of purchase that all original wood paneling, staircase carvings, crown-molding, cabinetry from the period is to be preserved. And in fact it would be in the best interest of the buyer to preserve those period originals. If I were the buyer, I would preserve everything and just repair some of the walls and the floors and renovate the rooms and develop the basement and attic to a full mechanical room, laundry room and wine-cellar. All the original works renovated and repaired would be worth LOT more as many of those woodwork and carving is extinct now. But seeing that they are selling a well-maintained FOUR-bedroom mansion from the 19th century for just $6 million shows that they want to sell it quickly so they would not bother to put in any clauses. Another mansion potentially disappearing into history...

Hope this is not going be the case.

4. speedo

speedo

I admire your appreciation for history but the 6 mm price tag on a Carnegie Hill Brownstone reflects the work to be done. The good news is it is highly likely to be gorgeous when done and be worth a lot more.

dealmaker likes this.
  5. JSOP

JSOP

PROVIDED they preserve all the original period work. Yes I agree. I hope they find a good buyer.