Newbie - Selling fractional share

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by coparker, May 30, 2023.

1. coparker

coparker

Hello community.

What is the best advice you can give a newbie (I'm conservative) when it comes to selling stocks?

For example, I bought a fraction of a share (Like a month and a half ago) worth $100 USD (Cost basis) and now its Market Value is around $160

What should I do with this investment?

Should I sell the fraction of a share equivalent to the $60 to invest in another company?

Thanks.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. cesfx

cesfx

It depends on your plan.
    Are you building a portfolio, swing trading, intraday, long term, short term, value investing...
    Have a plan, research, study and execute.

Nobert and murray t turtle like this.
  3. coparker

coparker

It's my first time selling a stock.

I want to keep the initial investment of $100 in that company that now its market value is around $160, what I don't know is the following:

1. I must sell all the stock to receive the $160 (The $100 would be immediately reinvested in the same company and the other $60 would be invested in another company)

or

2. Should I sell the fraction of this share equivalent to the $60?

4. 2. Unless you like to pay more in commission, then you select 1.

coparker likes this.
  5. %%
    SAY its following + beating benchmark SPY[ big beat %versus SPY]
    Single stocks have much more risk than SPY, but if that was me i would let profits run thru today/spy strong/ + uptrending as of noon .THEN sell all
    >50% month/>500% per 12 months, for sure print some charts on that sector; or hand draw some.
    DAVE ramsey allows 10% max per single stocks;
    $1,000 AUM , $100 max; $1,000,000 a[assets u [under] m[ management ] max 100k for single stocks.
    Ive done FNGU before />250% YTD, not in it now or 250% YTD buy + hold:caution::caution:

coparker likes this.
  6. Nobert

Nobert

Never had anything with fractional shares, yet, i doubt that you can sell a fraction of a fractional share.

You would sell whole, fraction, i guess, which is $160.

If you think that the company has a great future ahead, keep it.

murray t turtle and coparker like this.
  7. %%
    I think you are right;
    even though SCHW allows an order to be split ,[if a whole share + is in there] which could do it.
    But certain time restrictions apply \no last 15 minute sales if i remember right.
    WHEN i did trade single stocks i allowed for 50% overnite GAP against me; never did happen , but i knew it could.
    Profits ride+ cut a small loss on XOM,early 2023..........................