Next Intel CPU + Chipset when and worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mokwit, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mokwit

mokwit

Have to upgrade another PC, don't know whether to buy Core i7 2600 or 2700 3.5 and Z68 main-board now, or should I wait for the next one (expected when)? What are the features /speed upgrades? Buy the next one or buy i72600 and Z68 when price goes down on new release?

Understand a Z68 main-board will take the next release CPU - maybe with Bios upgrade?

I prefer overkill on a trading PC as I am multitasking on the main one and so prefer to keep my blood pressure low by not waiting long for anything to load/complete. I will pay up for this rather than for my personality false economy of min spec to run charts.

Asking here as this is where I get the best answers.

2. next up for intel is the ivy-bridge cpu's (Q1, 2012) which is the same architecture as the current sandy bridge cpu's with a process shrink to 22 nm. most likely you'll see single digit percent improvement. if you want over-kill get the just released top-o-the-line 6 core i7 3960 or 3930 for multitasking. it's also the same sandy bridge architecture with a shrink due in about a year.

3. i7-2600 is very fast. Whatever replaces it on the new X79 mobo will be even faster... maybe 50%.

Current i7 will not be compatible with X79 mobo. i7 is socket 1155 ... X79 is socket 2011.

4. mokwit

mokwit

Ok so technically I can buy a X79 Mainboard now as per

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131799

but unless I buy a i73930/3960 at $650/$1000 I have to wait for the new 2011 socket CPU that replaces the i7 26000 price points?

Any idea when that will be ? Q1 12 I know, but any idea which month?

Actually the above MB/high end CPU are not actually in Thailand yet and may be just a bit too much overkill :).

5. Leading edge computer stuff is always expensive..

6. mokwit

mokwit

Agree, but I am trying to work out how long before it is in an equivelant bracket to e.g the i7 2600K now and z68 main-boards or the time to when the current i72600/z68 will drop in price when the new models come out. Maybe they will be enough or maybe there will be such a step up in performance it may be worthwhile to wait for the new chip to come down.

Was thinking of buying 2600/z68 this weekend but thought i would check how long before price drop or new models.......................

7. GTS

GTS

I think "crush" is overstating it. The big differences in the first chart come from the onboard graphics differences. If graphics performance is a concern then its not likely you would be using the onboard graphics in either case.

In terms of actual cpu performance the gains are more modest:

7% improvement in SYSmark 2012 score
    14% improvement in HDXPRT 2011 score
    15% improvement in Cinebench 11.5 score
    13% improvement in ProShow Gold 4.5 results
    25% improvement in Excel 2010 performance

17% faster performance in 3DMark Vantage Performance Preset - CPU benchmark

Edit: Hey, where is the original post I quoted? It appears to have vanished...

8. Intel loves you

9. Im sticking with my i5-750, no more than a 3 second lag in quotes.

10. faster.

now = .00000001 second

faster = .000000001 second.

wow, those hft guys better run for their lives

#10     Dec 2, 2011