Positioning for Fed Rate cuts: 2YR vs Eurodollar futures

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by killATwill, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Wondering what people think is the better futures instrument to build a position if you believe the Fed will be cutting rates in 2023?

A couple options are the 2-Year Note and Eurodollars. It seems that Eurodollars is really the only product that has liquidity a year or two out -- if you assume the rate cutting cycle will take a while.

Am I wrong in assuming that if the Fed starts cutting rates it will be priced into forward dated 2 year futures, so that rolling from say a March to a June contract would leave money on the table?

It seems like Eurodollars is a way around this problem, if it is in fact real.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

2. Repoguy

Repoguy

I've stopped using Eurodollars and moved over to SOFR futures @ CME. OI is larger and liquidity MUCH better. The euro complex will be converted over to SOFR I think in June next year.

Other options TU's 2yr futures, CME 2yr Micro yield futures.

killATwill likes this.
  3. Specterx

Specterx

If you want to take a view that specifically Fed Funds will be lower at some future time than markets currently expect, SOFR futures are the way to go.

4. Repoguy

Repoguy

Sorry forgot the most obvious choice... CME Fed Fund futures.

killATwill likes this.
  5. This is a great option. Not sure my broker offers them but will check.

6. My first thought too but they don't offer the liquidity I'd like on long-dated contracts.

Sekiyo likes this.
  7. These are great options. Not sure I have access to SOFR w my broker.

Eurdollars would give me enough liquidity I think.

Thoughts on rolling a 2-year during a fed cutting cycle? Would you think that a March to June roll would leave a lot of money on the table?

8. Repoguy

Repoguy

I currently use Z23 for my spec positions

EDZ23 OI =763,538
    SFRZ23 OI = 869,396

Just saying... the spec has moved to SOFR and will continue to.

killATwill likes this.
  9. Good info. Thank you, Repoguy.

10. Aurangzeb

Aurangzeb

SOFR won't work out much as it'd NOT respond as LIBOR #Eurodollar contracts could have reacted.

#10     Dec 9, 2022
    killATwill likes this.