[QUESTION] - Backtesting Advice For a Beginner With No Coding Experience

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Tall Mike, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Does anybody have any advice or where I can start backtesting a few of my ideas?

I primarily have 2 main questions:

1. Where to get the data

2. What software to use (I have no coding experience)

I am looking to backtest a few of my ideas around mean reversion and momentum.

Thanks!

2. taowave

taowave

No coding experience,I would go with Quantshare or Amibroker.I find QS a bit easier...

Are you looking for intraday or EOD data??

Tall Mike likes this.
  3. Ninja Trader, free to demo and/or back test stocks, futures, and Forex. Free end of day data. No coding experience required, free library of help videos.

4. Tradex

Tradex

Slightly off-topic (sorry TallMike) but here it it: what could possibly prevent a backtesting software from literally stealing your code, if the system is indeed profitable?

They say you can "encrypt" your code (for safety) but quite frankly (and in my opinion), I don't think it is a guarantee of anything.

Tall Mike likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Just run it on a stand-alone machine. I.E. Keep it off the interwebz.

6. Tradex

Tradex

What about software updates? You still need to connect to the Net, and at that moment bang! your code could be transmitted without your consent or knowledge, no?

7. What could possibly prevent your broker's platform from "literally stealing your code" if you're a successful trader?

8. Tradex

Tradex

If you are winning consistently your broker can simply copy your trades, nothing illegal about that. However, he still does not know how your system works.

In fact some FX brokers copy winning trades from their successful traders/customers... :cool:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. If that is what you believe, then what is the difference whether your backtesting software "steals your code" or not? Since - according to your belief - it's going to happen anyway?

10. Tradex

Tradex

There is a HUGE difference between stealing your trading code and simply copying your trades.

If your code is stolen and enough people start using it, it could destroy its predictive power in the long run.

#10     Jun 26, 2020
    Shadetree42 likes this.