Russell 2000 almost in Bear territory

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Millionaire, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Millionaire

Millionaire

The Russell 2000 small cap index looks like it will be the first major US stock index to go full on Bear:

All time high (intraday): 2,458.86 (Nov 08, 2021)
    All time high close: 2,442.74 (Nov 08, 2021)

Last Price: 1,987

So a close below 1,954 would confirm a bear market in small caps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    zghorner likes this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

downtrend started on 5 Jan 2022 or 10 Nov 2021.

KCalhoun likes this.
  3. A lot of bulls going to have trouble sleeping at night again...:)

4. RGLD

RGLD

Something is seriously wrong when nasdaq rallied like crazy in 2021 and small cap didn't move.

5. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Small caps were weak all year in Canada. So this is old news. A true contrarian play would be to buy areas of weakness now ( Gold miners, China, Canadian small caps ). Might be a touch early but I'm keeping an eye on all three areas.

6. Nothing is wrong. Stagflation is coming, small caps reflected that lack of growth.

7. Small caps lead the market usually.

Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  8. Correct. People laugh at me for using small caps as a barometer but the way I look at it is if no one is buying shit stocks, then there isn't any irrational exuberance which means reality is going to hit at some point.

Many thought IWM was setting up for a massive breakout on a technical basis (LOOK AT THAT YEAR LONG CONSOLIDATION) but anyone who trades Russell knows that it was bullshit.

9. RedSun

RedSun

Small caps lag behind because the hot money has been chasing large tech and other hot rods. Now with covid almost gone and businesses open up, we should see profits at small caps improve. The question is if the money coming back to whole market, or hot money still chasing the hot rods.

I'd like to see cash moving away from large techs to mid cap and small caps. But who knows.

10. Can you find a period of time where Russell was strong and growth stocks were weak?

#10     Jan 23, 2022