Same As It Ever Was

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Chuck Krug, Jun 28, 2020.

1. “People spend too much time on the last 24 hours and not enough time on the last 6,000 years.” – Will Durant

This is a few short stories about things that never change in a world that never stops changing.

#1: Big risks happen when a bunch of small risks combine and compound. But small risks are easy to ignore, so people always underestimate the odds of big risks.

#2: Optimism is the fuel of progress, and without it people will grind to a halt. So you will often find it even when the odds are stacked against you and the facts don’t align.

#3 People will avoid even the slightest discomfort, even when the pain is manageable and trying to avoid the pain creates bigger risks.

#4. Disagreement is constant because it’s rooted in individual experiences. Experiencing a major stressor can permanently change your behavior, leaving certain countries and generations with extreme feelings toward specific topics.

https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/same-as-it-ever-was/

2. schizo

schizo

#5 People are scared of catching virus but are shameless about going viral. Grow up, folks.

3. donnap

donnap

Excellent post Chuck. Thanks.

I have a young relative who wants to get tattoos. Her parents and I are against it. But now she's 18 and free to do it.

I suppose that I have made many decisions in life that I later regretted, so that is one reason why my gut says, "no, don't do it." Also, I come from a generation where few people had tattoos, except military guys and later, punk rockers. Oh well...

So this gives me the excuse to post one of the greatest music videos ever:D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Chuck Krug likes this.
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Great video.

5. easymon1

easymon1

will durant civilization history of
    Books on Corruption

"A brief history of civilization from ancient times to the dawn of the modern age"
    Durant, Will, 1885-1981.
    This is a fantastic book that unfortunately includes Plenty of Corruption.
    Bears Repeated Listening Across the Years. Top Shelf.
    This audiobook is downloadable FREE from Your Local Library Right Now, this minute -to your smartphone, computer, whatnot.
    a must
    This thing rocks and so does Mr Durant.

https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/...on-that-youve-read.293072/page-2#post-5004557

6. Well said!

7. BreezeTen

BreezeTen

Very well said, mate!