Son of Something Very Simplistic

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Quah, Oct 4, 2002.

1. sababa

sababa

I'm another Qcharts user :( who doesn't have tick charts, so I'm trying to see if this would work on time-based charts. I'm not trying to fix what isn't broken (SVSS). Just trying to see if I can get it to work with what I've got.

Quah has opened up my mind to new possibilities. Before Quah (BQ), if I had thought of something like this, I would've told myself that it couldn't possibly work. Thanks Quah.

So what I'm looking at is this (with apologies to the master): set the chart to 6 min. bars (Quah approximated the tick charts to 6 min. before lunch), buy/sell the open every bar (according to your chosen indicator), place a -1.25 stop, and close the trade a few seconds before the close of the bar, at the market, if not stopped out.

What this does is give you some nice multiple point bars, yet your losses are still limited to 1.25.

If I find the courage to trade it, I'll post it.

#21     Oct 6, 2002
  2. Hendrix

Hendrix

I know Quah used tick charts for a reason, but for those without tick charts, or uncomfortable using them (data drop outs etc), it sounds as though, averaged over a whole day, the 2176 chart would average out to about 8 minutes, with the smaller one at 1min (which also keeps the 2176/272 = 8 relativity). It might be worth trying these (and I haven't looked) as a time-based alternative. TBSoSVS.......

Edit: Sorry Quah, not trying to divert your thread away from its focus, just trying to suggest an alternative which may be worth looking at for those without access to tick-based charts.

'nother Edit. Sorry sababa, Even though your post has been there for hours, I didn't see it the first time.

#22     Oct 7, 2002
  3. Using tick charts will ensure that nobody will have exactly the same signals at the same time. Even the same person running the same program on two different computers will not have identical signals. Thus it will be impossible to exactly replicate Quah's performance. That being said, it is possible to have similar performance (sometimes worse sometimes better).

#23     Oct 7, 2002
  4. Quah

Quah

So far 20 trades, 15 winners, 5 losers - net +9.00.

Anyone else trying this out?

#24     Oct 7, 2002
  5. ZZZ

ZZZ

Quah, is this papertrading? tks.

#25     Oct 7, 2002
  6. so you didnt miss one trade til now, right?

#26     Oct 7, 2002
  7. becoming a bit more complicated.

#27     Oct 7, 2002
  8. Quah

Quah

No - not really - two totally separate and distinct things.

#28     Oct 7, 2002
  9. volvo264

volvo264

Hello Quah,

I will be following the system shortly. I just need to download the tick based software and get used to the methodology.

I cant remember seeing such a generous trader on this board so I must say thank you for the efforts.

Andrew

#29     Oct 7, 2002
  10. Quah

Quah

Yes, at this point.

#30     Oct 7, 2002