TaxACT online free tax software w/ free IRS E-file

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Qty, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Qty

Qty

2. sprstpd

sprstpd

3. 2ticks

2ticks

Then move to state that has no state income tax so you can save $12.95. :D

The problem with TaxACT is they do not offer ANY type of audit protection or assistance, other than guaranteeing the accuracy of calculations. If audit is not a concernto you (to me it is) I think this is a terrific deal, even with a measly fee for State.

4. sprstpd

sprstpd

It would be a good deal if the software were close to TaxCut or TurboTax. I reviewed TaxAct maybe two years ago and it wasn't nearly as nice nor did it have as many features. Maybe things have changed.

5. I like the audit protection but realize they are just selling insurance on having to hire an accountant/attorney to represent you in an audit. And they are assuming that not all inquires from the IRS will be as complicated as a full-blown audit.

Probably higher expectancy to self-insure and just hire someone if you get the dreaded letter.

Traveler

6. 2ticks

2ticks

Totally agree that audit defense is merely insurance. Also agree only a small percent become full-blown audit.

The insurance cost is very minimal however to handle initial correspondense with uncle sam. My attorney charges $175hr for such. And if the insurance can resolve the issue, then it's money well spent, imo. I am not suggesting using an unknown freckled face tax attorney as sole defense. Just as an intermidiary step before more expensive routes may be needed.

7. cdowis

cdowis

I suspect that you will have to wait an hour or two for someone to answer the phone. I tried the phone number once to see what it is like. Forget it.