The Yahoo Market Data Feed Disaster

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Butterfly, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Butterfly

Butterfly

Quite a few of us have been affected by the Yahoo shutdown of their free market data service. Here is a possible explanation of why, Exchanges are abusing their market dominance.

Discontent grows over exchanges' data fees
    http://www.thetradenews.com/Data/Exchanges-stranglehold-on-data-costs-stifling-market-activity/

Panelists at an industry conference take issue with various exchanges' monopolistic dominance and their data fees, which are seen as excessive and likely to prevent smaller firms from market participation. One asset manager said the fees for his company rose 30% over 12 months to €3 million.

2. SteveM

SteveM

3. Metamega

Metamega

Must be ways around it, I know Amibroker had a patch out pretty quick for amiquote(tool used to access a few free sources of data) and it works same as it did before with the software.

4. Simples

Simples

It's the free market! You can always make your own exchange!

5. Yahoo employees suffer because Yahoo doesn't have a good leader....Verizon wants Yahoo to maintain its market share in their sector to compete with Google. All they need is Yahoo, not their employees...

6. I used to be able to use MLDownloader to download Yahoo end-of-day quotes free of charge daily. Now, I am no longer able to. Luckily, there is still Google around. For those who want quality data and don't mind paying, Reuters Datalink is a good choice for end-of-day stock data.

7. mokwit

mokwit

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  8. Agere - the exchanges have a monopoly on data and are abusing and milking the fees until there is nothing left. Class action is the only way to change it.

d08 likes this.