This bitcoin challenger is up 1,100% this year — but is it ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Zr1Trader, May 18, 2016.

1. "Ethereum, the world’s second-most valuable cryptocurrency, has seen its value skyrocket as investors and developers have sought different ways to use the technology introduced by bitcoin. But is it ready for the big time?

That’s what some are asking with its market capitalization briefly crossing $1.1 billion — up from $72 million at the beginning of 2016 — in mid-March. The price of a single ether token has surged from around $1 at the beginning of the year to more than $14 in just months.

Ethereum counts some of the world’s largest technology companies as believers, and regulators recently cleared the way for buyers in New York state to purchase tokens through a major cryptocurrency exchange. A March New York Times profilequoted one of Ethereum’s creators as calling the platform the “crystallization” of the vision bitcoin put forward..."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...or-prime-time-2016-05-18?mod=mw_share_twitter

2. A little heads up next time before the $1 to $14 move would be nice! ;)

j_medved and FCXoptions like this.
  3. Ethereum vs Bitcoin isn't quite an apples-to-apples comparison. Ethereum is truly a step beyond the simple ledger blockchain, implementing smart contracts. Smart contracts are a truly brilliant breakthrough.

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

"...observers see massive potential for the platform, others see it as something else: a “solution in search of a problem.”

“Blockchains don’t scale. That’s it. Somebody needs to find a solution, and a lot of people are working on it,”"

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...y/news-story/4fc461315e3442a039a11d35909a6759

So far the DAO project has raised $180 million, “making them the largest crowdfunded project in history, ” according to Futurism.com.

Once the selling period finishes (which can be thought of as an IPO) then the real fun begins. The group will basically become a venture capital firm.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  5. Got that right. Back in the day I (and lots of others) ran a full BTC node when the blockchain was 1 or 2 GB. Now it's 68 GB and the number of full nodes is much smaller. Everyone's pretty much switched over to using thin clients like Electrum.
    This doesn't bode well for the health of the network; more full nodes = healthier, more fault tolerant.

6. S2007S

S2007S

Here we go again about crpto-currencies

So overrated its not even funny. Every day there is another new crypto-currencey.....

Worthless trend

7. Loooppy99

Loooppy99

Unfortunately, Much as I would like to see Bitcoin & this one succeed I'm afraid you may find it is just another PUMP N DUMP.
    I think I will trade the FALL.

8. I welcome bears to the crypto market. Please do short if you feel these are pieces of shit cryptos. That is the beauty of Free market capitalism ! The crypto market will have lots of failures and a few winners, as with anything in business.

poloniex.com bitfinex.com are a couple exchanges to do that.

Come one come all.

9. Did a search , CDNtrader made a thread about ethereum in 2014, that was the warning here at ET I guess :)

10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Up 100% in a month! I think it will top around $20.... I heard the market is pretty thin, although the poloniex volume looks fine...

https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/ethereum

I wouldn't mind if a better crypto takes over from bitcoin as a leader, the butters' behavour and inflexibility are getting old... They need to learn a lesson...

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    #10     May 19, 2016