This is what I call LUXURY - With Style and Elegance

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by JSOP, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JSOP

JSOP

http://www.sothebyshomes.com/nyc/sales/00111339

If I make it trading, this is where I would live here. Maybe get rid of the metal staircase (don't know what's that for? Maybe for the staff) and replace it with an elevator. If you own that much money you DEFINITELY want to make your staff happy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    bullmarket79 likes this.
  2. JSOP

JSOP

Upon closer look at the floorplan, the metal staircase doesn't even reach the basement where the staff quarters are so REALLY not sure why they would put that there. It seems to be completely isolated from the rest of the house and is just connecting place to the back part of the house. I would DEFINITELY replace it with an elevator.

3. JackRab

JackRab

4. JSOP

JSOP

Looks like it is. OMG!! According to this article, http://nypost.com/2017/03/29/madoff-victim-added-wife-to-townhouse-deed-before-suicide/, he paid for that mansion for $33 million and they are only asking for $36.5 million??!! They are only making $3.5 million on the sale PROVIDED that the potential buyer doesn't bargain! With the publicity out there, chances are people are going to avoid that property especially the wall street people who are highly superstitious.

I tell you it's that metal staircase!! It's GOTTA GO! That's too much metal from an auspiciousness point of view in Chinese fung shui. A home should not have that much metal, such heavy iron metal winding throughout the whole house like that especially for somebody who's in the financial business. The house's actually already got an elevator, another new thing that I just discovered so WHY did they put in that metal staircase??!! It is so out of place. And for the library, I would've added drapes. Way too open!

Whoever buys that place is going to have this place MAJORLY blessed. After that, the house should be ok to live in. What a BEAUTIFUL house! Poor Charles Murphy! I hope he's at peace up there. Still trying to take care of his loved ones even when he was struggling with his own depression.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

In real estate parlance, its called a "stigmatized property".
    Although he did not end his life there, in a broad sense of the definition it might be considered as such. Either way, it appears that in NY, its not a mandatory disclosure on any property.
    N.Y. Real Prop. Law §443a-1 http://law.onecle.com/new-york/real-property/RPP0443-A_443-A.html

It'll be interesting to see what it sells for. She might take a lowball although I assume her agent would advise otherwise.

If I owned a house that stately, I'd put some big ole gnarly gargoyles on the roof...that'll keep the ghosty's out.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  6. JSOP

JSOP

In Canada, you only need to disclose any violent deaths like homicides or suicides that occurred in a property. So since Mr. Murphy didn't really commit suicide in that property (not sure if he even took that action to lessen the stigmatization of the property so his wife can sell it better), the seller who's probably the wife wouldn't even need to disclose that according to Canadian Real Estate Law. So she's not really breaking any disclosure laws here by not disclosing anything and what happened to Mr. Murphy is after all nobody's business. If not for Mr. Murphy's high profile, we wouldn't even know about it. But she does open herself up to possible lawsuit if some sensitive buyers later on found out about this and considers this as a "major defect" and sues her for fraud of willful withholding of vital information and demand damages or whatever.

It's unfortunate what happened to Mr. Murphy but it IS a nice property. I really like it. If I were the buyer, I would do a few modification to it like getting rid of that metal staircase and blessing the house but I would't mind living in it. I wouldn't even mind meeting Mr. Murphy's ghost as long as he's friendly. LOL He was cute and a responsible man who took care of his loved ones until the last minute of his life. I never had the chance to know him when he was alive sure wouldn't mind knowing him when he's dead as long as he means no harm to me or my family. And I would just shave off the cost of my modifications off the selling price; I wouldn't bargain too much; they are already only making just $3.5 million from the sale, that's 10% return but over TEN years as they bought the property in 2007; that's only 1% per year (you can make higher returns than that in GIC). She's a widow now with two young boys who are still going to school. Wouldn't be nice to drive the price down too much no matter how "stigmatized" that property is.

7. JSOP

JSOP

And a very effective and also economic way to deter ghosts in a dwelling is actually just putting in lots of furniture and simply move in. No need for those talisman or gargoyles or etc. LOL Ghosts tend to congregate in places of vast empty space that is seldom visited by living bodies. Once a place is filled by activities and objects from the living, their energy tend to dissipate. Read it in a book written by this guy who has a wife who is actually able to see ghosts and saw ghosts in their newly bought property and he had to consult mediums and this is what a medium told him. And they did just that and the ghosts moved out and one of the ghosts wasn't even a friendly one but they lived there fine.

8. JSOP

JSOP

mlawson71 likes this.
  9. mlawson71

mlawson71

Now that is one classy looking place. I can't find a single thing about it that I find unattractive.

10. JSOP

JSOP

I know I can't believe it's still unsold.

#10     Jun 29, 2017