TOS on Linux - Different Java Binaries - Zulu Java

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by apdxyk, May 12, 2020.

1. apdxyk

apdxyk

In my haste I went ahead and downloaded Oracle Java 8. As I used to do in the past for many years. And the installer wouldn't work. Things changed and TDA developers switched the Java binary package. After installing Zulu Java 8 everything works as it used to be.
    ======================================================
    Linux users

thinkorswim requires Zulu OpenJDK 8 to run, general installation instructions can be found on the Zulu website.

Once Zulu OpenJDK8 is installed, ensure it is set as the default Java VM using the steps specific to your Linux Distribution After ensuring Zulu OpenJDK8 is the default with the “java –version” command in a shell/terminal, continue with the installation instructions below:

1. Click "Install thinkorswim" to download the thinkorswim installer to a directory on your PC.
    2. After downloading open a shell and CD to the directory where you downloaded the installer.
    3. At the prompt type: sh ./thinkorswim_installer.sh

A more in-depth guide for the Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian distributions is available on The Learning Center.

Note: Clients intending to run thinkorswim on Linux, Solaris or other Unix variants, manual updates and tuning may be required, we have no official support for configuring these operating systems.
    =============================================================

https://docs.azul.com/zulu/zuludocs...form/AttachAPTRepositoryUbuntuOrDebianSys.htm

https://docs.azul.com/zulu/zuludocs...lingZulu/InstallOnLinuxUsingAPTRepository.htm

Verified working on Debian, Ubuntu and Mint distributions of Linux. I haven't tried it on RHEL 8.

2. does thinkorswim has an api? last time I checked they use api from tdameritrade restful protocol. is that still the case?

3. ET180

ET180

Java should be backwards compatible unless they depreciate some classes / functions which is very rare. So any Java version after JRE / JDK 7 should work.