Trading Choppy summer markets - insights?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, Jun 29, 2022.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Tougher to trade when rangebound vs major trends. Share your insights, tips.

I'm mostly pair daytrading TQQQ/SQQQ etc. . Playing pivots, buying support selling resistance.

2. I'm OK either way. I try to get in and add to a position when it's going well. That's all.

3. A market that goes straight up, or straight down, from the open is every trader's dream,
    Easy to read and predict and make nice money,

But choppy markets, as well, and weird markets....is what truly separates the men from the boys, the true professionals from the amateurs and gamblers,

May the Farce Be With you,
    Many Happy Returns,

4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Always internals no matter the market conditions, $TICK, Up/Down Volume percentages, Adv/Decl Diff.

Keeps me on the right side, most of the times.

KCalhoun, wrbtrader and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  5. Hard to tell when anyone here is on the right side , since no trades are ever revealed until they are long over

6. maxinger

maxinger

small rangebound - untradable

choppy big rangebound - untradable

not choppy big rangebound - very tradable

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  7. Handle123

Handle123

I believe even with chop, there is trend on some timeframe, so change it, increase risk cause usually less volume. I prefer chop, very consistent once you get hang of it.

S-Trader likes this.
  8. maxinger

maxinger

enjoy the chop mister.

I'd be glad not to earn a cent from the choppy market.

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. I disagree with your sentiment perspective,
    Every day, in every market, there is money to be made....and it is always tradable,

That's like saying a Karate man or Boxer can only win against an opponent if his hands are tied behind his back, or one arm is missing.
    An expert trader can, and should, be able to carve out profits consistently, more or less, regardless of market conditions,

It's a matter of understanding, observations, realizations, and expectations,
    Any Fool can profit, and brag about it, during obvious trending bull markets or bear markets, days. But the wise trader has a much more profound track record doing so, overall,

10. notagain

notagain

Trends begin from the 5 day moving average more often than not.
    Chop is coming from Biden exporting most of our oil, inflating prices.
    Biden mafia could end inflation anytime they want.

#10     Jun 29, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.