trading software for Android??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by 0008, Aug 13, 2010.

1. 0008

Any software similar to AMIBroker, TS or Ninja available for Android? If so, do they require high-end phone to run ?

2. byteme

byteme

No. Not feasible. At least not all of the features e.g. auto-trading etc.

What features are you looking for? I'm working on a proposal to develop some charting software for Android phones.

3. cstfx

cstfx

Isn't java part of the Android operating system (they are being sued by Oracle for use of it)? And if so, can't some java apps then be ported to work on the android system?

4. byteme

byteme

Yes, but not all of the Java API is supported. You'd have to throw away the entire GUI and re-write it for Android (Swing and SWT etc. are not supported). Then there is the fact that the screen size of an Android device is quite a bit different to your average desktop. Then there are memory limitations. I could go on.

You could potentially have a cut-down TWS or thinkorswim platform running on Android complete with option analytics but I'm not holding my breath.

Auto-trading from an Android device would be crazy for so many reasons.

If you really have to run these platforms on your Android device your best bet is some kind of remote desktop to a server that has the platform running on it.

5. 0008

I know auto-trade or numerical intense applications are not possible. But just for viewing charts with some indicators using real time data. Is it OK?

6. C99

C99

logmein free account

plus

Ignition for android one time $29 fee

https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/android/

works best on wifi or 4G, but 3G possible. I don't use it much, but nice to know I can always get to my charting and accounts.

I'm running it on a sprint EVO.

7. byteme

byteme

Viewing charts with real time data not a problem. Check the Android marketplace or your broker if they plan to offer anything.

8. cstfx

cstfx

I know the phone screen size is limiting. I am thinking more in line of the Android "ipad" killer due sometime later this year. While I doubt you could get the full functionality of IB's TWS on a portable device, I would think there could be something more functional than what was developed for the iPhone. And since the developers of the Android operating system don't have the same biases towards Java and Flash, I would think you could have a much better portable platform for your trading.

#10     Aug 13, 2010