Trading the Index Futures with charts of the cash Index ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Marsupilami, Sep 3, 2005.

1. I have been doing some paper trading in the last months in the ER2.
    I noticed thatThe underlying cash index exhibits less noise, is not as jumpy.
    Do you think that one can be succesful with trading the future using the cash index ?

2. bigbob

bigbob

Typically, the exchange supplied quotes of the cash indices are only updated once every 15 seconds. Some are only once a minute. This may be why they seem less jumpy.

Bob

3. sure. arbs do it all the time.

4. ...where is the Russell 2k cash index calculated ? Is it the NYSE or AMEX ?

Thanks,

Marsupilami

5. This is like...newbie error 101!

That's virtually impossible. May have worked 4-5 years ago. Not today. At least not for daytrading purposes, anyway.

6. No, it's not even close. It's because HALF of the stocks used to calculate $RUT probably trade once every 5 minutes on average!

7. gnome

gnome

Yes! Unless you are trying to scalp (always a fool's errand, imo), you can trade the futures when you get an indication/signal from the cash index.

Futures are leveraged, thinner, jumpy, and tend to overshoot. Trading off of the cash with a proper stop is OK.

8. Hi everyone, I appreciate your responses. Now could someone just tell me where the RUT.X is traded ? Which exchange provides the quotes ?
    Thanks